Calculating Spring Stretch in Series: 2.8 N/cm and 6 N/cm

In summary, the conversation involves a homework question about a series spring system with different elasticities and a mass of 41N hanging below. The two questions are about the stretching distance of the springs with constants 2.8 N/cm and 6 N/cm. The conversation also includes a clarification that the springs are massless.
muna580
I have this homework question which I don't understand how to do it.

Since I am not homew right now, I can't post up the picture. I will explain what the picture looks like.

Picture:

___ = Wall
$ = Spring
| = Connection
(*) = mass

So basically we have 2 springs with diffrent elasticities hanging from the wall. And below the springs is a mass with 41N.

1. What distance will the spring of constant 2.8 N/cm stretch? Answer in units of cm.

2. In the same series spring system, what distance will the spring of constant 6 N/cm stretch? Answer in units of cm.

Physics news on Phys.org
muna580 said:
I have this homework question which I don't understand how to do it.

Since I am not homew right now, I can't post up the picture. I will explain what the picture looks like.

Picture:

___ = Wall
$ = Spring
| = Connection
(*) = mass

So basically we have 2 springs with diffrent elasticities hanging from the wall. And below the springs is a mass with 41N.

1. What distance will the spring of constant 2.8 N/cm stretch? Answer in units of cm.

2. In the same series spring system, what distance will the spring of constant 6 N/cm stretch? Answer in units of cm.
Assuming the springs are massless, how much weight must each spring support?

Oh wait, I got the answer. I was doing the calcuations wrong. Instead of deviding 41N by the 2.8 N/cm, I was deviding .41 by 2.8. I was trying to convert 41N to cm or something like that. lol

Related to Calculating Spring Stretch in Series: 2.8 N/cm and 6 N/cm

1. How do you calculate the total spring stretch in series?

To calculate the total spring stretch in series, you need to add the individual spring stretches together. In this case, the total spring stretch would be 2.8 N/cm + 6 N/cm = 8.8 N/cm.

2. What is the unit of measurement for spring stretch?

The unit of measurement for spring stretch is Newtons per centimeter (N/cm).

3. Can the spring stretch in series be greater than the stretch of the individual springs?

Yes, the total spring stretch in series can be greater than the stretch of the individual springs. This is because when springs are connected in series, they work together to produce a greater overall stretch.

4. Is there a formula for calculating spring stretch in series?

Yes, the formula for calculating spring stretch in series is: F = kΔx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and Δx is the stretch of the spring.

5. How does the spring constant affect the spring stretch in series?

The spring constant directly affects the spring stretch in series. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will stretch less, while a lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and will stretch more.