Calculating Spring Gun Ball Speed with Negligible Friction | Homework Help

• Thread starter makeAwish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun Spring
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a spring gun and a ball. The problem provides information about the mass and force constant of the spring, the compression distance, and the mass of the ball. The work done by friction is negligible. The first part (a) asks for the ball's speed when the spring reaches its uncompressed length, ignoring the mass of the spring. The second part (b) asks for the ball's speed when the spring reaches its uncompressed length, including the mass of the spring. The conversation ends with the person seeking help trying to solve the problem and receiving guidance on how to approach it.
makeAwish

Homework Statement

In a spring gun, a spring of mass 0.244kg and force constant 3500N/m is compressed 2.00cm from its unstretched length. When the trigger is pulled, the spring pushes horizontally on a 4.1×10−2kg ball. The work done by friction is negligible. (a) Calculate the ball's speed when the spring reaches its uncompressed length ignoring the mass of the spring.

ans is 5.8m/s ( i got this answer correct, but there is a second part of the qns which i can't solve)

part b: Calculate the ball's speed when the spring reaches its uncompressed length including, using the results of part A, the mass of the spring.

Homework Equations

(K + Ug + Ue) initial = (K + Ug + Ue) final

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried by just replacing the mass in part a with their total mass. I got 2.1m/s but it is incorrect.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
the thing is i don't quite understand how to use results of part a.
means i have to use 5.8m/s to form eqn to solve?

Interesting! Looks like they want you to consider that part of the spring energy goes into the KE of the spring itself, leaving a bit less for the ball, so you will get a smaller answer in b. I'm thinking spring E -> KE of spring + KE of ball

As a first go at it, you might just put a 1/2mv^2 for the KE of the spring.
That isn't quite right, because one end of the spring is tied down and doesn't move.
There is another thread going tonight on just this problem. Oh - it's one of yours!

oh. so i cannot replacing the mass in part a with their total mass? like consider both as a system?

then does the spring has potential energy as well?

OH. i know le.. my mistake. sorry.. part a is not referring to this qns one. It is referring to just now the other qns that u helped me solve. Haha. Sorry.

Adding the spring and ball mass would be assuming the whole spring is moving - not quite right. If this is from the same class as your other problem about the spring with mass, you probably should use that result here. Did you find that the KE of the spring was 1/6*m*v^2 ?

yup. i tried this:

1/2kx^2 + (mass of ball + mass of spring)*g*x = 1/2*mass of ball*velocity of ball^2 + 1/6*mass of spring*velocity of ball^2

velocity of ball and spring is the same rite?

i got my answer as 3.25m/s but the ans is 3.4m/s.. hmm.

What is the (mass of ball + mass of spring)*g*x for?
The problem is horizontal, so no change in potential energy. You could add it to both sides, but no point.

Delphi51 said:
What is the (mass of ball + mass of spring)*g*x for?
The problem is horizontal, so no change in potential energy. You could add it to both sides, but no point.

ya hor! haha. thanks thanks! means my first one - velocity of ball also wrong lei.. cos i included potential energy for that. but i still got the answer.. lol. i try again.

ok yup the answer is the same. haha. thanks for the guidance! :))

Most welcome! It may seem like drudgery, but it is really EXPERIENCE.
If you have time (unlikely) read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. He says a person's skill depends almost exclusively on experience and it takes 10 000 hours to become a world class expert.

Related to Calculating Spring Gun Ball Speed with Negligible Friction | Homework Help

1. What is a spring gun and how does it work?

A spring gun is a type of firearm that uses the force of a compressed spring to propel a projectile. When the trigger is pulled, the spring is released, causing it to expand rapidly and push the projectile out of the barrel at high speed.

2. Are spring guns dangerous?

Spring guns can be dangerous if not used properly. They can cause serious injury or even death if aimed at a person or animal. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions and never point a spring gun at anything you do not intend to shoot.

3. How accurate are spring guns?

The accuracy of a spring gun depends on various factors such as the quality of the gun, the type of ammunition used, and the skill of the shooter. Generally, spring guns can be accurate up to a distance of about 25-30 meters.

4. Can spring guns be modified?

It is possible to modify a spring gun, but it is not recommended as it can be dangerous and also illegal in some places. Altering a spring gun can affect its performance and make it more powerful, which can increase the risk of injury.

5. How do I properly maintain a spring gun?

To ensure the longevity and proper functioning of a spring gun, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the gun. Make sure to also store the gun in a cool, dry place and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and storage.