Calculating Spring Constant and Work Done on a Compressed Spring

In summary, the problem involves a man with a mass of 100kg standing on a platform 10m high and stepping onto a spring of the same height, causing it to compress to 3m. The work done on the spring is calculated to be 3500J using the equation W=(1/2)Fd. However, the correct equation for the work done by gravity on the man is W=mgh, which gives a value of 3430J. The spring constant is then calculated to be 140 N/m.
danvalen1

Homework Statement

A man that has a mass of 100kg stands on a platform 10m high. Right next to the platform is a spring of the same height. When the man steps off the platform and steps onto the spring, the spring compresses to 3m in height. What is the work done on the spring? What is the spring constant?

Homework Equations

w=(1/2)Fd
F=ma
w=(1/2)kD2

The Attempt at a Solution

w=(1/2)(100kgx10m/s/s)(10m-3m)=3500J

3500J=(1/2)k(7m)2
k=142.9 N/m

Am I using the correct equations and if so, am I getting the right answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You seem to have used a valid approach to solve the problem, but the equation for work done by gravity on the man is not quite right and, not knowing what precision is required, I would probably expect a more precise value of g to be used.

Filip Larsen said:
Welcome to PF!

You seem to have used a valid approach to solve the problem, but the equation for work done by gravity on the man is not quite right and, not knowing what precision is required, I would probably expect a more precise value of g to be used.

Using 9.8 m/s2:
w=(1/2)(F)(d)
w=(1/2)(100kg x 9.8 m/s2)(10m-3m)
w=3430J

I'm using w=(1/2)Fd because it is derived from w=(1/2)kd2 since k*d = F.

3430J=(1/2)k(7)2
k=140 N/m

danvalen1 said:
Using 9.8 m/s2:
w=(1/2)(F)(d)

As Filip Larsen points out, you are not using the correct formula for the work done by gravity.

I'm using w=(1/2)Fd because it is derived from w=(1/2)kd2 since k*d = F.

The formula for the force on a spring,

[tex] F = kd [/tex]

is correct.

The formula for the potential energy of a spring, or work done on a spring,

[tex] W = \frac{1}{2}kd^2 [/tex]

is also correct. Let me show you where this comes from. By the definition of,

[tex] W = \int \vec F \cdot d \vec s [/tex]

we have as applied to a spring (using the variable x instead of d, for the compression distance),

[tex] W = \int _0 ^x \vec F(x') \cdot d \vec x' [/tex]

[tex] = \int _0 ^x kx dx, [/tex]

Thus

[tex] W = \frac{1}{2} k x^2. [/tex]

Or if you use d for the compression distance,

[tex] W = \frac{1}{2} k d^2. [/tex]

But,

[tex] W \ne \frac{1}{2}Fd. [/tex]

It doesn't "work" that way.

For gravity, assuming a constant acceleration, thus constant force over h,

[tex] W = \int \vec F \cdot d \vec s [/tex]

becomes,

[tex] W = \int _0 ^h \vec F \cdot d \vec z [/tex]

[tex] = \int _0 ^h mg dz. [/tex]

But here (unlike the spring case), m and g (and F, for that matter) are constant over z, and can be pulled out from under the integral.

[tex] W = mg \int _0 ^h dz [/tex]

Which becomes,

[tex] W = mgh [/tex]

Or if you'd rather,

[tex] W = F _g h [/tex]

where Fg is the force due to gravity (assuming constant acceleration).

The major difference between gravity and a spring, is that in the case of gravity, the force is constant. In the case of a spring, the force is proportional to the amount of compression. So they each have correspondingly different equations for their work functions (or potential energy functions, if you interpret it that way).

Now I get why I can't use that. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Spring Constant and Work Done on a Compressed Spring

1. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied, and x is the displacement.

2. What are the units of spring constant?

The units of spring constant depend on the units used for force and displacement. In the SI system, the units for spring constant are newtons per meter (N/m).

3. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material and dimensions of the spring, as well as the temperature and external forces applied.

4. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines the stiffness of the spring, which affects how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring and how far it will stretch or compress for a given force. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will require more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and will require less force.

5. How is the spring constant used in real-world applications?

The spring constant is used in various real-world applications, such as in designing and manufacturing springs for vehicles, machines, and household items. It is also used in physics experiments and calculations involving springs and in understanding the behavior of materials under stress.