Calculating Spring Constant and Mechanical Energy

In summary, a 0.5kg mass suspended from a spring stretches the spring by 4cm. When the mass is displaced 2cm from its equilibrium position and released, the spring constant is calculated to be 122.5N/m. The mechanical energy of the mass is found to be 0.025J. The speed of the mass as it passes through its equilibrium position going down and going up is 0.32m/s. To calculate the gravitational energy, the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position (0.002m) should be used instead of the original spring stretch (0.0004m).
xCharade

Homework Statement

When a .5kg mass is suspended from a spring, the spring stretches 4cm. The mass is then displaced 2cm from its equilibrium position and released.
(a) What is the spring constant? (b) What is the mechanical energy of the mass? (c) What is the speed of the mass as it passes through its equilibrium position going down and going up?

Homework Equations

F=kx (k is spring constant)
W= .5(k)x2
KE= .5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A I used F=kx:
mg=kx
(.5kg)(9.8m/s2) = k (.04m)
k= 122.5N/m

For part B I used W= .5kx2:
W= .5(122.5N/m)(.02m)2
W= .025J

For part C I used KE = .5mv2
.025J = .5(.5kg)v2
v= .32m/s

I just need to make sure that I'm on the right track with this problem. I can get confused as to when to use .04m and .02 and generally with using formulas.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much gravitational energy is there when the mass is displaced 2cm = 0.002m from its equilibrium position? Hint: The spring originally stretched 0.0004m when the mass was suspended.

Related to Calculating Spring Constant and Mechanical Energy

1. What is a spring?

A spring is a flexible and elastic object that is able to store and release mechanical energy when compressed or stretched. It is commonly made of metal and has a coiled or spiral shape.

2. How does a spring store and release energy?

A spring stores energy in the form of potential energy when it is compressed or stretched. The more it is compressed or stretched, the more potential energy it has. When released, the stored potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the spring to move and release the stored energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in a spring?

The amount of potential energy stored in a spring depends on its spring constant, which is a measure of its stiffness, and the distance it is compressed or stretched. The higher the spring constant and the farther the distance, the more potential energy the spring will store.

4. How is mechanical energy related to springs?

Springs are able to convert mechanical energy between potential energy and kinetic energy. When compressed or stretched, a spring will have potential energy. When released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the spring to move and release the stored energy.

5. What are some practical applications of springs and mechanical energy?

Springs and mechanical energy are used in a variety of everyday objects and devices. Some examples include car suspensions, pogo sticks, trampolines, and door hinges. They are also used in more complex systems, such as shock absorbers, watches, and musical instruments.