Calculating Spring Compression of Ore Car on Downhill Mine Tracks

In summary, an ore car with a mass of 38000 kg starts from rest and rolls downhill on tracks from a mine, reaching a horizontally situated spring with a constant of 5.2 × 105 N/m. Ignoring friction, the car is stopped and compressed the spring by 3.05 m. The calculations for this were done using the work-energy principle and taking into account the force of gravity and the vertical displacement of 6.5 m.
Idividebyzero
1.An ore car of mass 38000 kg starts from rest
and rolls downhill on tracks from a mine. At
the end of the tracks, 6.5 m lower vertically,
is a horizontally situated spring with constant
5.2 × 105 N/m.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Ignore friction.
How much is the spring compressed in stop-
ping the ore car?

2. W=F*D W=1/2 kx2

3. Started with 1/2kx2 the constant is given to us. work is also F*D here once it leaves the hill I considered it in free fall. so using force of gravity as F.
(m)(g)(d)=1/2kx2 and solved for x. this was incorrect. thought about the work-energy principle but i don't know any kinematic inforation other than g and the vertical displacement. any thoughts

Physics news on Phys.org
The method looks good.

What do your calculations look like? What did you get for an answer?

Yeah there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it =\

here is what i got

W=1/2kx^2

mgd=1/2kx^2

(38000kg)(9.8m/s^2)(6.5m)=1/2(5.2e5)x^2
(2420600 kgm^2/s^2)=260000*x^2
9.31 = x^2
3.05 = x

using the correct sig figs would round to 3.1 and the answer was wrong

weird, just tried submitting 3.05 m and it was correct. that was the un-rounded raw answer before sig figs. My professor made it clear to use sig figs when doing the assignment. :anger:

Related to Calculating Spring Compression of Ore Car on Downhill Mine Tracks

What is the formula for calculating spring compression?

The formula for calculating spring compression is: F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

How do I determine the spring constant for my ore car?

The spring constant can be determined by conducting a compression test on the spring. This involves measuring the force required to compress the spring a certain distance. The spring constant can then be calculated using the formula: k = F/x.

What factors affect the spring compression of an ore car on downhill mine tracks?

The spring constant, weight of the ore car, angle of the track, and speed of the car are all factors that can affect the spring compression of an ore car on downhill mine tracks.

Is it possible to calculate the spring compression without conducting a compression test?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the spring compression by using the weight of the ore car, the angle of the track, and the speed of the car. However, the most accurate calculation will be achieved by conducting a compression test on the spring.

How does the spring compression affect the safety of transporting ore on downhill mine tracks?

The spring compression is an important factor to consider in ensuring the safety of transporting ore on downhill mine tracks. If the spring is compressed too much, it may not be able to absorb the impact of the downhill ride, potentially causing damage or accidents. On the other hand, if the spring is not compressed enough, the ore car may gain too much speed and become difficult to control. It is important to calculate the spring compression accurately to ensure the safe transportation of ore on downhill mine tracks.