Calculating Spring Compression and Velocity with Friction

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 2.798-kg block on a horizontal surface with a lightweight spring that is compressed. The spring has a spring constant of 775 N/m and does 0.969 J of work on the mass when released. The questions are to calculate the distance the spring was compressed and the velocity of the mass as it breaks contact with the spring. The suggested equation is 1/2 kx^2 and it is noted that friction must be factored in.
Markrosoft
having trouble with this problem... any ideas?

A 2.798-kg block is on a horizontal surface with muk = 0.170, and is in contact with a lightweight spring with a spring constant of 775 N/m which is compressed. Upon release, the spring does 0.969 J of work on the mass while returning to its equilibrium position. Calculate the distance the spring was compressed. What is the velocity of the mass as it breaks contact with the spring?

i need this equation: 1/2 kx^2 ... but I'm not sure where to go from here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are some universal equations for work you could use here? Think about how energy is transferred from potential to kinetic when the spring is released and allowed to return to equilibrium.

i tried this:
1/2 k x^2=E ...0.969 J = 1/2 (775) (x)^2 ...x = 0.05m

but it's wrong... does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

That would be correct if the surface were frictionless. Try to factor in the work done by friction. Remember that [itex]W=Fd\cos\theta[/itex] and [itex]F_{kinetic~friction}=\mu_{kinetic}F_{normal}[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Spring Compression and Velocity with Friction

1. What is spring compression?

Spring compression refers to the process of reducing the length or volume of a spring by applying force or pressure to it. This results in the spring storing potential energy, which can be released when the force is removed.

2. How do I calculate the amount of compression in a spring?

The amount of compression in a spring can be calculated using Hooke's law, which states that the amount of force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of compression. The formula is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the amount of compression.

3. What is the purpose of spring compression?

Spring compression is used to store potential energy, which can then be released to perform work or provide force in a variety of applications. It is commonly used in mechanisms such as shock absorbers, door hinges, and suspension systems.

4. How do I compress a spring?

To compress a spring, you can use a variety of tools such as pliers, a spring compressor, or your hands. It is important to follow proper safety measures and consider the spring's properties, such as its maximum compression limit, when compressing a spring.

5. What should I consider when choosing a spring for compression?

When choosing a spring for compression, you should consider factors such as the required amount of force, the maximum compression limit, the material and size of the spring, and the environment in which it will be used. It is also important to select a spring with a suitable spring constant for your intended application.