Calculating Speed of Bicycle on a Hill | Mass, Height, and Distance Given

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the speed of a bicycle at the bottom of a hill using conservation of energy. The steps involve setting potential and kinetic energy equal to each other, solving for velocity, and adding the initial speed of the bike. The angle of the hill is not necessary to consider in this method, as gravity is a conservative force.
Aikenfan

Homework Statement

You ride your bicycle down a hill. Your total mass is 54 kg. At the top of the hill, your
speed is 5 m/s. The hill is 1 m high and 101 m long. what is
your speed at the bottom of the hill?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

PE= mgh
(54)(9.8)(10)
= 5292

find the degree of the hill i think using tangent?
tan (10/100) ??

then solves for v

KE = 1/2 mv^2

Ik its something along those lines but I am a bit confused with the hill (do i use tangent, etc.) thank you very much, any help as soon as they possibly can is very much appreciated. thanks :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what happens is that at the bottom of the hill all the potential energy will be converted to kinetic energy (disregarding friction and air resistance). What you need to do is set the potential and kinetic energy equal to each other and solve for v. Remember to add on the initial 5m/s.

To find the angle, it depends on if the 100m relates to the hypotenuse or the distance from the start of the hill to the bottom. model the hill as a right angled triangle and remember your trigonometric ratios.

KE = 1/2 mv^2
5292 = 1/2 (54)v^2
and solve for V?
and then just add on the 5m/s to that?

For the length of the hill, i am guessing that it would be referring to the hypotenuse (because that would be the length that the bike travels).

Ok so what trigonometric function do you know that involves the opposite side (10m) and the hypotenuse (100m).

And yes just solve for v and add the 5m/s on.

KE = 1/2 mv^2
5292 = 1/2 (54)v^2
and solve for V?
V=196 + 5 = 201
but what do i do with the hill? it would be Tan-1 (10/100)?

Remember:

[tex] \sin(\theta) = O/H
\cos(\theta) = A/H
\tan(\theta) = O/A [/tex]

where O = opposite, A = Adjacent and H = hypotenuse.

Sin = o/h
10/100
= .0017
would that b right? but how do i figure it out now, the speed at the bottom of the hill, once I've got those numbers? thank you i really appreciate all of the help!

Last edited:
Aikenfan said:
KE = 1/2 mv^2
5292 = 1/2 (54)v^2
and solve for V?
V=196 + 5 = 201

You forgot to take the square root.

You want to take sin-1 (10/100)

okay, now when i get both of those numbers what do i do with the angle?

thanks again
for taking the time to help me

Oh right. Nothing because you have used conservation of energy instead of kinematic equations so you don't really need the angle. I thought it was part of the question you'd neglected to post.

so the answer would just be the square root of 201 which would be 14.177

No the square root of 196 and then add the five.

Okay, thanks very much. just one more quick question...Why don't I do anything with the hill (as in tangent) because it is going down an incline, wouldn't that have an effect on the speed (speed it up)? sorry for all of the questions

Last edited:
If you were using the kinematic equations you'd have to find the component of force acting parallel to the hill and thus you'd need to use the trigonometric stuff. Since you've considered conservation of energy this doesn't matter because all you need to know is how far vertically the bike travels. this is because gravity is a conservative force.

Wow! thank you, you have been very helpful!

Related to Calculating Speed of Bicycle on a Hill | Mass, Height, and Distance Given

1. How does the slope of the hill affect the effort required to ride a bicycle?

The steeper the slope of the hill, the more effort is required to ride a bicycle. This is because the force of gravity pulling the rider and the bike down the hill increases with the slope, making it harder to pedal and maintain speed.

2. What is the best gear to use when riding a bicycle on a hill?

The best gear to use when riding a bicycle on a hill depends on the slope and the rider's strength and experience. Generally, a lower gear (with a smaller chainring and larger cassette) is better for climbing steep hills, while a higher gear (with a larger chainring and smaller cassette) is better for flatter or downhill sections.

3. How can I conserve energy while riding a bicycle on a hill?

To conserve energy while riding a bicycle on a hill, it is important to maintain a steady pace and avoid sudden bursts of speed. Use proper gearing and try to keep a relaxed but efficient pedaling motion. Standing up on the pedals can also help distribute the effort between the legs and provide a short break for the muscles.

4. Will riding a bicycle on a hill help improve my overall fitness?

Yes, riding a bicycle on a hill is a great way to improve overall fitness. It requires more effort and engages different muscle groups compared to riding on flat terrain. Regularly riding on hills can increase cardiovascular endurance, build leg and core strength, and improve balance and coordination.

5. Is it safe to ride a bicycle down a steep hill?

Riding a bicycle down a steep hill can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. Make sure to check your brakes and tires before attempting to ride down a hill, and always wear a helmet and other protective gear. It is also important to maintain a safe speed and be aware of any potential hazards on the road.