Calculating Speed and Time of Nolan Ryan's Baseball Orbit on the Moon

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of Nolan Ryan throwing a baseball horizontally on the surface of the moon and the conditions for the baseball to orbit around the moon and hit Nolan from behind. It provides information on the mass and radius of the moon, as well as the gravitational constant. The questions ask for the required speed and time for the baseball to complete one orbit. The correct equation for satellite motion in a circular orbit is needed to solve these questions.
JJ89
Suppose that Nolan Ryan stands on the surface of the moon and throws a baseball horizontally. If the baseball has a high enough speed and does not strike any mountain, it can orbit around the moon and, after completing the orbit, strike Nolan from behind. The mass of the moon is mm = 7.35×(10*22power kg), and its radius is rm = 1740 km. The gravitation constant G = 6.67×10(-11power) Nm2/kg2.

a) Find the speed at which Nolan must throw the ball for such a circular orbit? V= ms

(b) How long (in hours) does the ball take to complete one orbit? T= hrs

is the equation V=G*R? if so i used 7.35*10to the 22nd power * 6.67 *10 to -11 power?
i got 4.90245e12, and it said i was wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

but i can't figure out the equation for B

did i do A right?

JJ89 said:
is the equation V=G*R? if so i used 7.35*10to the 22nd power * 6.67 *10 to -11 power?
i got 4.90245e12, and it said i was wrong.
No, the equation is not V = G*R. Look up the correct equation for satellite motion in a circular orbit in your textbook. You can also derive it using Newton's Second Law combined with Newton's Law of gravitation.

:

I would approach this problem by using the equation for centripetal force, which is F = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular orbit. In this case, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational force between the baseball and the moon, which can be calculated using the formula F = (G*m*m)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the moon, and r is the distance between the baseball and the center of the moon.

To find the speed at which the baseball must be thrown for a circular orbit, we can equate these two equations and solve for v:

(G*m*m)/r^2 = (mv^2)/r

Solving for v, we get v = √(G*m/r), where G = 6.67×10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2, m = 7.35×10^22 kg, and r = 1740 km = 1.74×10^6 m.

Plugging in these values, we get v = √((6.67×10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)*(7.35×10^22 kg)/(1.74×10^6 m)) = 1639.6 m/s.

Therefore, the speed at which Nolan must throw the ball for it to orbit around the moon is approximately 1639.6 m/s.

To find the time it takes for the ball to complete one orbit, we can use the formula for the period of a circular orbit, which is T = 2πr/v, where r is the radius of the orbit and v is the orbital velocity. In this case, the radius of the orbit is the radius of the moon, which is 1.74×10^6 m, and the velocity is the orbital velocity we just calculated, 1639.6 m/s.

Plugging these values into the equation, we get T = 2π*(1.74×10^6 m)/(1639.6 m/s) = 6.74×10^5 s.

To convert this to hours, we divide by 3600 seconds per hour, giving us T = 6.74×10^5 s/3600 s/hr = 187.2 hours.

Related to Calculating Speed and Time of Nolan Ryan's Baseball Orbit on the Moon

1. How can the speed and time of Nolan Ryan's baseball orbit on the moon be calculated?

The speed and time of the baseball's orbit can be calculated by using the equation for orbital velocity, which is v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the moon, and r is the distance between the baseball and the center of the moon.

2. What factors affect the speed and time of the baseball's orbit on the moon?

The speed and time of the baseball's orbit on the moon are affected by several factors, including the mass of the moon, the distance between the baseball and the center of the moon, and the initial velocity and direction of the baseball.

3. Can the speed and time of the baseball's orbit on the moon be calculated using the same equation as orbital velocity on Earth?

No, the equation for orbital velocity on Earth is v = √(GM/r), which is different from the equation for orbital velocity on the moon due to the differences in mass and gravitational constant between the two objects.

4. Is it possible for Nolan Ryan's baseball to achieve escape velocity on the moon?

Yes, it is possible for the baseball to achieve escape velocity on the moon if it is given enough initial velocity and is launched at the right angle. Escape velocity on the moon is approximately 2.38 km/s, which is much lower than Earth's escape velocity of 11.2 km/s due to the moon's lower mass and weaker gravitational pull.

5. What other factors should be considered when calculating the speed and time of the baseball's orbit on the moon?

In addition to the factors mentioned above, other factors that should be taken into consideration when calculating the baseball's orbit on the moon include air resistance, the rotation of the moon, and the presence of other celestial bodies that may affect the baseball's trajectory.