Calculating Specific Heat of Unknown Sample Using Calorimetry

In summary, the unknown block transferred 507 Joules of energy to the calorimeter, which is equivalent to its specific heat.
trah22

Homework Statement

an aluminum calorimeter with a mass of 100g contains 250g of water. THe calorimeter and water are in thermal equilibrium at 10 degrees celcius. Two metallic blocks are placed into the water. One is copper of 50g at 80celcius. The other is block is 70g and originally at temp of 100Celcius. The entire system stablilizes at a final temp of 20celcius. Determine the specific heat of the unknown sample.

Homework Equations

Q=mC(changeofT)
so c=Q/m(changeofT)
Qcold=-Qhot

The Attempt at a Solution

MwCw(10celcius)+MaCa(10celcius)=-McuCcu(20-80)-MukCuk(20-100)
so
250g(4186J/Kg)(10)+100(900J/Kg)(10)=-50(387J/kg)(-60)-MukCuk(-80)

im not sure if i set up the unknows correctly (Mu=mass of unknown and Cuk=specific heat of unknow)... can anyone help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are doing it correctly, and you're doing it all in one equation, whereas I was thinking of breaking it down into steps as follows. It's been a while since I've done this type of problem, but it seems to be that this is what needs to be done:

1. Calculate the total amount of energy transferred from the blocks to the calorimeter (this is the left hand side of the equation you have written down).

[tex] Q_{\textrm{tot}} = m_{\textrm{H2O}}c_{\textrm{H2O}} \Delta T_{\textrm{cal}} + m_{\textrm{Al}}c_{\textrm{Al}} \Delta T_{\textrm{cal}} [/tex]

where [itex] \Delta T_{\textrm{cal}} [/tex] is the change in temperature of the calorimeter equal to 20 C - 10 C = +10 C

Now you know how much energy was transferred from the two blocks to the calorimeter. Unfortunately, some of this came from the copper block, and some from the unknown block. You know the specific heat of copper, so you can figure out how much heat was transferred from the copper:

[tex] Q_{\textrm{Cu}} = m_{\textrm{Cu}}c_{\textrm{Cu}} \Delta T_{\textrm{Cu}} [/tex]

Then you can subtract this from the total heat in order to determine how much came from the unknown block (this is equivalent to isolating the unknown term on the right hand side of your equation):

[tex] Q_{\textrm{unk}} = Q_{\textrm{tot}} - Q_{\textrm{Cu}} [/tex]

And, of course, since you know the mass of the unknown block and its change in temperature, you can easily calculate c_unk from Q_unk.

Last edited:
i think i got thanks for the explanation:smile:

Related to Calculating Specific Heat of Unknown Sample Using Calorimetry

What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is a physical property of a substance that measures the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of that substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is important because it helps us understand how a substance will behave when heated or cooled, and it also allows us to calculate the amount of heat needed to cause a temperature change.

How is specific heat determined experimentally?

To determine the specific heat of a substance, an experiment is conducted where a known amount of the substance is heated to a specific temperature, and then placed in contact with a known amount of water at a different temperature. By measuring the change in temperature of the water and the substance, along with the known masses and temperatures, the specific heat can be calculated using the formula Q=mcΔT.

What factors can affect the measurement of specific heat?

The accuracy of the measurement of specific heat can be affected by several factors, including the purity and composition of the substance, the accuracy of the temperature measurements, and any heat loss to the surroundings during the experiment. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain an accurate result.

What units are used to measure specific heat?

Specific heat is typically measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) in the metric system, or in calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g°C) in the older metric system. However, other units such as kilojoules per kilogram per Kelvin (kJ/kgK) or British thermal units per pound per degree Fahrenheit (BTU/lb°F) may also be used.

How is specific heat used in real-world applications?

Specific heat is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in cooking, where it helps us understand how different ingredients will heat up and cool down. It is also important in industries such as metallurgy, where specific heat is used to determine the best materials for different applications. Additionally, specific heat is crucial in the design of heating and cooling systems, as it helps engineers determine the amount of energy needed to heat or cool a specific substance.