Calculating Spacetime Interval for Event A

In summary, the spacetime interval from the origin in frame S to event A is 8 lightseconds. In frame S', which is moving at a speed of 0.5c with respect to S, the spacial distance from the origin to A is 6 lightseconds. This means that the event A lies along the x' axis in frame S'.
Monster007

Homework Statement

The spacetime interval between the origin in frame S and an event, A, is found to be r = 8
lightseconds. In frame S' moving in Standard orientation with respect to S at speed v =
0.5c event A is measured at a distance r' = 6 lightseconds from the origin.

(a) What is the time interval between the origin in S' and event A?

(b) Could an event at the origin and event A be causally related? Explain your answer

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am studying for upcoming exam so the solution isn't as important as understanding the question, but as far as i know the spacetime interval is invariant which is throwing me way off here, I'm certain if i can get part a i understand part b but am completely at sea with part a) any help will be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the spacetime interval is invariant. Question (a) asks for the time interval, not spacetime interval.

Also, in addition to what BruceW mentioned,

I suspect that when the problem statement said,
"...distance r' = 6 lightseconds..."
it's not asking for the spacetime interval to A, but really asking for the x' component of r. In other words, the distance from the origin to the projection of A onto the x' axis.

It probably would have been clearer if the problem statement was worded, "measured at a distance x' = 6 lightseconds."

In other words, the spacetime interval from the origin to A is 8 lightseconds (true whether one is in S or S', since spacetime intervals are invariant). And in S', the spacial distance (not spacetime distance) from the origin to A is 6 lightseconds. Still in other words, this "6 lightseconds" vector lies along the x' axis itself.

That's my guess as to what the problem statement is trying to say.

Related to Calculating Spacetime Interval for Event A

Q1: What is the formula for calculating spacetime interval for event A?

The formula for calculating spacetime interval for event A is Δs² = c²Δt² - Δx², where Δs is the spacetime interval, c is the speed of light, Δt is the time interval, and Δx is the distance interval.

Q2: How is the spacetime interval related to the concept of spacetime?

The spacetime interval is a fundamental measure of spacetime, which combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is a way to measure the distance between two events in four-dimensional spacetime.

Q3: What are the units for measuring spacetime interval?

The units for measuring spacetime interval are typically seconds (s) for time interval, meters (m) for distance interval, and meters squared (m²) for spacetime interval.

Q4: How does the value of spacetime interval affect the classification of an event?

The value of spacetime interval determines the classification of an event as either spacelike, timelike, or lightlike. A spacelike interval (Δs² < 0) represents events that are not causally connected, a timelike interval (Δs² > 0) represents events that are causally connected, and a lightlike interval (Δs² = 0) represents the path of a beam of light.

Q5: Can the spacetime interval be negative?

Yes, the spacetime interval can be negative, which indicates a spacelike separation between two events. This means that the two events are not causally connected and can occur at the same time in different locations in space.