Calculating something wrong with Poiseuille's Law

In summary, the person can breathe through a tube of 100 cm length and 2 cm radius. However, the rate of inhalation is fast, and the person needs to be careful to calculate the air flow through the breathing tube correctly.
dvora

Homework Statement

At resting, can you breath sufficient air through a tube of 100 cm length and 2 cm radius?

normal resting respiration rate: 10 - 20 breaths per minute (3 - 6 seconds per breath)

normal resting respiration volume: 0.5 L

normal pressure difference in respiration = 1 mmHg = approximately 133.322 Pa

viscosity of air is apparently 0.0018 Pa s

Homework Equations

Poiseuille's Law for volumetric air flow: Fv = ((P1-P2)pi(r^4)) / 8 eta L

The Attempt at a Solution

Fv = (133.322 Pa * pi * .02 m^4) / (8 * .0018 Pa s * 1 m) = 0.00465 m^3/s = 4650 cm^3/s = 4.65 L/s inhalation

So the conclusion would be that you'd have no problem breathing through the tube.

This seems like an awfully fast rate of inhalation, which makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong. I have never taken a physics class, I am taking a class in which physics is not supposed to be a requirement and we have never discussed or read about air flow in class, but we have been given this problem as a homework assignment. Which is all a way of saying that I know nothing about physics and would greatly appreciate it if somebody could show me where I went wrong and why. Do I have a problem with my units or something?

The other possibility is that this just looks like a really fast rate because it's oversimplified and doesn't include the rate of air flow through the trachea.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are expected to take into account, but it seems to me that in the real world there are two significant aspects your calculation ovelooks:
1. The drag in the tube is in addition to the drag that is already present in drawing the air through the nostrils etc.
2. To breathe successfully through the tube, enough fresh air must be drawn in each time. If the expelled air goes through the tube also then the total tube volume may be too great.

Likes dvora
Thank you! I had just looked up the tracheal air flow when you replied and it's slower than air flow through the tube, so I can base my calculations on the rate of tracheal air flow instead. Maximal inspiration/expiration volume is greater than resting inspiration volume + dead space in the tube, so I think the person should be able to get enough fresh air even breathing out through the tube.

We weren't told what to take into account; we were just told to decide whether or not people can breathe with a 100 cm length, 2 cm radius tube. We've also never discussed solving problems like this, so I'm just guessing about what to take into account.

dvora said:
We weren't told what to take into account; we were just told to decide whether or not people can breathe with a 100 cm length, 2 cm radius tube. We've also never discussed solving problems like this, so I'm just guessing about what to take into account.
Ok, sounds good.

dvora said:
Thank you! I had just looked up the tracheal air flow when you replied and it's slower than air flow through the tube, so I can base my calculations on the rate of tracheal air flow instead. Maximal inspiration/expiration volume is greater than resting inspiration volume + dead space in the tube, so I think the person should be able to get enough fresh air even breathing out through the tube.

That, of course, is assuming that I've correctly calculated the air flow through the breathing tube.

dvora said:
That, of course, is assuming that I've correctly calculated the air flow through the breathing tube.
I could not see an error, and it does seem reasonable. That is quite a large radius, so I'm not surprised it yields a greater flow rate that the respiratory tract, particularly if the normal pressure diffence you quote is for breathing through the nose.

Likes dvora
Thank you for all of your help!:smile:

Related to Calculating something wrong with Poiseuille's Law

1. How do I calculate flow rate using Poiseuille's Law?

To calculate flow rate using Poiseuille's Law, you will need to use the equation Q = (π * ΔP * r^4) / (8 * η * L), where Q represents flow rate, ΔP is the pressure difference, r is the radius of the tube, η is the viscosity of the fluid, and L is the length of the tube.

2. What is the significance of Poiseuille's Law in fluid mechanics?

Poiseuille's Law is an important equation in fluid mechanics as it helps us understand the relationship between pressure, flow rate, and other variables such as viscosity and tube radius. It is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and biology to calculate flow rates in different systems.

3. Can Poiseuille's Law be used to calculate flow rate in non-ideal conditions?

In non-ideal conditions, Poiseuille's Law can still be used to calculate flow rate, but the results may not be as accurate. Factors such as turbulence, irregularities in the tube, and non-Newtonian fluids can affect the accuracy of the calculations. In these cases, other equations or experimental methods may be necessary.

4. How does changing the viscosity of a fluid affect flow rate according to Poiseuille's Law?

The viscosity of a fluid is directly proportional to the flow rate according to Poiseuille's Law, which means that an increase in viscosity will result in a decrease in flow rate. This is because higher viscosity fluids have a greater resistance to flow, requiring more pressure to maintain the same flow rate.

5. What are the limitations of using Poiseuille's Law to calculate flow rate?

One of the main limitations of Poiseuille's Law is that it only applies to laminar flow, which is a smooth and orderly flow of fluid. In cases of turbulent flow, the equation may not accurately predict flow rate. Additionally, the law assumes a constant pressure gradient and a circular tube, which may not always be the case in practical applications.