Calculating Ship Time w/ Varying Acceleration in Relativity

In summary, the speaker has limited experience with special relativity and is planning to write a short story about a generation ship that switches between non-relativistic and relativistic velocities for resource collection and damage prevention. They are considering different methods for calculating time dilation and are thinking of breaking the journey into segments for more accurate calculations. They also mention the need for 4-velocity and information about matter in the vicinity for an exact answer.
stefan10
My only experience with special relativity has been in an introductory Modern Physics course. In that course I think we mostly used constant velocities or if we did do anything with accelerating objects the acceleration was constant or changed very few times (you can just add the few changes.) I currently want to write a short story about a generation ship that varies between non-relativistic velocities and various relativistic velocities, so that it can slow down/speed up to collect resources/prevent ship damage in more dense interstellar mediums. I'm assuming that such a ship would have a non-constant acceleration depending on the circumstances of what it needs to do. Eventually I want the ship to return to our solar system, but for story purposes I have to know the estimated time it took the round-trip for an observer (or set of observers) on the ship versus earth.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

^ From that website, I found a set of equations for a ship moving with a constant acceleration. Do I have a lot of leniency here where I can just say the average velocity they were going was like .5*c so therefore the ship time interval (proper time right?) is gamma( with beta = .5) *earth-time interval, or should I consider an average acceleration and use that as a constant in the linked set of equations? Is there another way to do this (I've been reading about a line integral method, I think?) Which would you say is more accurate for my potential scenario? I'm thinking I will just make up a scenario in which the accelerations change 10-15 times based on circumstances and then just calculate the time dilation at each change and add them together, but I don't know if that is the right way to go about it. For example, maybe something like the ship is accelerating at 1g until it reaches .5*c, and then slows down by 1.5g until it reaches 0 m/s, and then speeds up again by 1g until it reaches .5*c, etc, etc.

Thank you very much and sorry for any misconceptions I might have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
stefan10 said:
My only experience with special relativity has been in an introductory Modern Physics course. In that course I think we mostly used constant velocities or if we did do anything with accelerating objects the acceleration was constant or changed very few times (you can just add the few changes.) I currently want to write a short story about a generation ship that varies between non-relativistic velocities and various relativistic velocities, so that it can slow down/speed up to collect resources/prevent ship damage in more dense interstellar mediums. I'm assuming that such a ship would have a non-constant acceleration depending on the circumstances of what it needs to do. Eventually I want the ship to return to our solar system, but for story purposes I have to know the estimated time it took the round-trip for an observer (or set of observers) on the ship versus earth.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Thank you very much and sorry for any misconceptions I might have.
To get an exact answer you would need the 4-velocity that describes the journey, from which you could calculate the time on the ships clock. There is a formula see here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_time

You'd also need the disposotion of matter nearby. The best thing would be to break it up into segments and add heir proper times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating Ship Time w/ Varying Acceleration in Relativity

1. What is the equation for calculating ship time with varying acceleration in relativity?

The equation for calculating ship time with varying acceleration in relativity is t = t0 * sqrt(1 - (v/c)2), where t is the ship time, t0 is the time on Earth, v is the velocity of the ship, and c is the speed of light.

2. How does acceleration affect the calculation of ship time in relativity?

In relativity, acceleration affects the calculation of ship time by altering the ship's velocity, which in turn affects the time dilation factor (sqrt(1 - (v/c)2)). The greater the acceleration, the greater the change in velocity, resulting in a greater time dilation effect.

3. Can ship time ever be faster than Earth time in relativity?

According to the equation t = t0 * sqrt(1 - (v/c)2), as v approaches c (the speed of light), the time dilation factor approaches 0, meaning that ship time will be slower than Earth time. Therefore, ship time can never be faster than Earth time in relativity.

4. How does the concept of time dilation apply to calculating ship time in relativity?

Time dilation is the concept that time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds compared to objects at rest. In relativity, the equation for calculating ship time takes into account this time dilation factor, which is dependent on the ship's velocity. This means that the faster the ship is moving, the slower time will pass for the ship compared to Earth time.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating ship time with varying acceleration in relativity?

Calculating ship time with varying acceleration in relativity has many practical applications, such as in space travel and satellite communication. By understanding how acceleration affects time dilation, scientists and engineers can accurately plan and coordinate missions and communication systems that rely on precise timing. This also has implications for GPS technology, which uses satellites at high speeds to determine location and time on Earth.