Calculating Shear Stress: Understanding the Role of Y in Shear Force Diagrams

In summary: V - beam weightQ - load (or weight of the object being sheared)I - moment of inertia of the beamt - time
chetzread

Homework Statement

Refer to the second photo , Q= Ay
Does the author mean point P is at the center of the region (62.5mm x 100mm) ?The figure is not labelled well i am confused
Lk22d7F.png

q2sgFeq.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the notes , I was told that y is the location of the shear stress is measured from the neutral axis

Physics news on Phys.org
why the value of y is 62.5 / 2 ?
I have no idea...
MNGDDZw.png

chetzread said:
why the value of y is 62.5 / 2 ?
I have no idea...
MNGDDZw.png

If the area of interest is a rectangle measuring 100 mm wide by 62.5 mm deep, where is the vertical centroid located, relative to the neutral axis?

SteamKing said:
If the area of interest is a rectangle measuring 100 mm wide by 62.5 mm deep, where is the vertical centroid located, relative to the neutral axis?
do you mean y is the distance from the centorid of specific area to neutral axis ?

SteamKing said:
why it's 62.5 / 2 in B ? and it's 12.5 +(50/2) in part A ?

I'm confused where is the location of point P now ...

chetzread said:
why it's 62.5 / 2 in B ? and it's 12.5 +(50/2) in part A ?
Because one calculation is for the shear stress for part a) of the problem and the other is for the shear stress in part b).

Part a) wants to know the shear stress in the beam for a point which is located 50 mm below the top of the beam. Remember, Q must be calculated using the neutral axis as the reference point, which is why the y-bar is 12.5 mm + 50 mm / 2.

Part b) wants to know the shear stress in the beam, which the box in the illustration indicates occurs at the neutral axis. The y-bar here is 62.5 mm / 2.

Likes chetzread
SteamKing said:
Because one calculation is for the shear stress for part a) of the problem and the other is for the shear stress in part b).

Part a) wants to know the shear stress in the beam for a point which is located 50 mm below the top of the beam. Remember, Q must be calculated using the neutral axis as the reference point, which is why the y-bar is 12.5 mm + 50 mm / 2.

Part b) wants to know the shear stress in the beam, which the box in the illustration indicates occurs at the neutral axis. The y-bar here is 62.5 mm / 2.
then, for part a , why the value of y isn't 12.5mm? Since it's 12.5mm away from neutral axis.
neutral axis is located 62.5mm way from the top of beam, why value of y is not 62.5 mm?

chetzread said:
then, for part a , why the value of y isn't 12.5mm? Since it's 12.5mm away from neutral axis.
Because you are supposed to calculate the first moment Q = A * y-bar for the area of the beam which lies above the line which is 12.5 mm above the neutral axis.

And it's not y you are dealing with, but y-bar, which is the location of the centroid of the area A.

Haven't you understood anything about the calculation of the shear stress using the formula ##τ = \frac{V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t} ## ?

neutral axis is located 62.5mm way from the top of beam, why value of y is not 62.5 mm?

Again, it's not y you are dealing with, but y-bar, which is the location of the centroid of the area A above the neutral axis.

Likes chetzread
SteamKing said:
Because you are supposed to calculate the first moment Q = A * y-bar for the area of the beam which lies above the line which is 12.5 mm above the neutral axis.

And it's not y you are dealing with, but y-bar, which is the location of the centroid of the area A.

Haven't you understood anything about the calculation of the shear stress using the formula ##τ = \frac{V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t} ## ?
Again, it's not y you are dealing with, but y-bar, which is the location of the centroid of the area A above the neutral axis.
[/QUOTE]

the maximum shear stress occur at the neutral axis of the beam , am i right? why we need to consider the centroid of area which is above the neutral axis?

the maximum shear stress occur at the neutral axis of the beam , am i right? why we need to consider the centroid of area which is above the neutral axis?[/QUOTE]
This is getting really circular. I don't know why you can't understand the shear stress formula, when it is laid out and explained.

The formula for calculating the shear stress is a beam is ##τ = \frac{V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t}##

τ - shear stress
V - shear force
Q - first moment of area above the location where the shear stress is calculated.
I - second moment of area for the entire beam about the N.A.
t - width of the beam where the shear stress is calculated.

Now V, I, and t are all pretty easy to find for a given beam.

The first moment Q can be calculated using Q = A * y-bar, since that is the definition of the first moment of area.

If the beam cross section is a nice square or rectangle, then y-bar can be determined very easily.

Likes chetzread
deleted

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
the maximum shear stress occur at the neutral axis of the beam , am i right? why we need to consider the centroid of area which is above the neutral axis?
This is getting really circular. I don't know why you can't understand the shear stress formula, when it is laid out and explained.

The formula for calculating the shear stress is a beam is ##τ = \frac{V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t}##

τ - shear stress
V - shear force
Q - first moment of area above the location where the shear stress is calculated.

The first moment Q can be calculated using Q = A * y-bar, since that is the definition of the first moment of area.

If the beam cross section is a nice square or rectangle, then y-bar can be determined very easily.[/QUOTE]
do you mean the shear stress is to be measured at neutral axis , so the first moment of area is taken to be the area above the neutral axis (100mm)(62.5mm) ?

chetzread said:

τ - shear stress
V - shear force

If the beam cross section is a nice square or rectangle, then y-bar can be determined very easily.
do you mean the shear stress is to be measured at neutral axis , so the first moment of area is taken to be the area above the neutral axis (100mm)(62.5mm) ?[/QUOTE]
Yes, for part b) of the problem. The shear stress for part a) is measured at a different location, and its area is slightly different.

SteamKing said:
do you mean the shear stress is to be measured at neutral axis , so the first moment of area is taken to be the area above the neutral axis (100mm)(62.5mm) ?
Yes, for part b) of the problem. The shear stress for part a) is measured at a different location, and its area is slightly different.[/QUOTE]
for part b , could it be area below the neutral axis?

chetzread said:
Yes, for part b) of the problem. The shear stress for part a) is measured at a different location, and its area is slightly different.
for part b , could it be area below the neutral axis?[/QUOTE]
The neutral axis of the section splits the section into two parts, such that the first moment of area of the part above the N.A. is the same as the first moment of area of the part below the N.A. This is why the shear stress is a maximum at the N.A. of the cross section.

SteamKing said:
for part b , could it be area below the neutral axis?
The neutral axis of the section splits the section into two parts, such that the first moment of area of the part above the N.A. is the same as the first moment of area of the part below the N.A. This is why the shear stress is a maximum at the N.A. of the cross section.[/QUOTE]
so,taking moment about an area below or above the neutral axis is acceptable?

How did the same area below and above neutral axis related to the maximum shear stress?

chetzread said:
so,taking moment about an area below or above the neutral axis is acceptable?
It doesn't matter if the area is above or below the neutral axis. Q for either area is the same.
How did the same area below and above neutral axis related to the maximum shear stress?
Because Q is the same for the area above or below the neutral axis, that's as large as Q can get for that cross section, hence, the shear stress is a maximum at the N.A.

Likes chetzread
SteamKing said:
It doesn't matter if the area is above or below the neutral axis. Q for either area is the same.

Because Q is the same for the area above or below the neutral axis, that's as large as Q can get for that cross section, hence, the shear stress is a maximum at the N.A.
What do you mean Q is the same for the area above or below the neutral axis, that's as large as Q can get for that cross sectio

chetzread said:
What do you mean Q is the same for the area above or below the neutral axis, that's as large as Q can get for that cross sectio
If you don't believe me, work out Q above and below the N.A. for the wooden beam in the problem described in the OP.

The beam is 125 mm deep and 100 mm wide.

The N.A. is located 62.5 mm from the top or bottom of the beam.

A = 62.5 * 100 = 6250 mm2

y-bar = 62.5 / 2 = 31.25 mm

Q = A * y-bar = 6250 * 31.25 = 195,312.50 mm3

The only way Q gets bigger than 195,312.5 mm3 is if the N.A. moves up or down, but this is impossible, since it won't be the N.A. anymore.

SteamKing said:
If you don't believe me, work out Q above and below the N.A. for the wooden beam in the problem described in the OP.

The only way Q gets bigger than 195,312.5 mm3 is if the N.A. moves up or down, but this is impossible, since it won't be the N.A. anymore.
do you mean shear stress is maximum at neutral axis because the value of y-bar is smallest , thus the 'surface area' is smallest , stress is highest ?

SteamKing said:

do you mean shear stress is maximum at neutral axis because the value of y-bar is smallest , thus the 'surface area' is smallest , stress is highest ?

chetzread said:
What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

The shear stress is a maximum at the N.A. because the product A * y-bar = Q is a maximum there.

After all, ##τ = \frac {V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t}##, and the only quanty which changes for the wooden beam section is Q.

deleted

SteamKing said:
What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

The shear stress is a maximum at the N.A. because the product A * y-bar = Q is a maximum there.

After all, ##τ = \frac {V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t}##, and the only quanty which changes for the wooden beam section is Q.
the shear stress at a point where lower than the neutral axis is even higher , isn't it ? why it is max at neutral axis ?

chetzread said:
the shear stress at a point where lower than the neutral axis is even higher , isn't it ? why it is max at neutral axis ?
No, it's not. The first moment Q is always calculated about the neutral axis as the reference point.

Likes chetzread
SteamKing said:
No, it's not. The first moment Q is always calculated about the neutral axis as the reference point.
then , how to prove that shear stress is maximum at neutral axis ? Since you said that Q can be only calculated at neutral axis ?

chetzread said:
then , how to prove that shear stress is maximum at neutral axis ? Since you said that Q can be only calculated at neutral axis ?
No, I said the neutral axis is used as the reference axis for the calculation of Q. There's a difference.

You can set up a calculation for different values of Q as the location of the shear stress moves from the outer fiber to the neutral axis.

calculate-long-shear.png

When the line B-B is located at the outer fiber of the beam, A = 0 and Q = 0, which also implies that τ = 0.

By bringing the axis B-B closer to the N.A., the area A above B-B is increasing, while y-bar is getting smaller. What happens to the product A * y-bar?

The N.A.is located at d/2 from the top or bottom of the section.

If the axis B-B is y units from the N.A.,then A = (d/2 - y) * width and y-bar = (d/2 + y) / 2.

Q = A * y-bar = [(d/2 - y) * width ] * [(d/4 + y/2)]

Q = [d2/8 + d*y/4 - d*y/4 - y2/2] * width

Q = [d2 / 8 - y2 / 2] * width

When the axis B-B coincides with the N.A., then y = 0 and Q = (d2 / 8) * width.

For any other value of y, Q will be less than this amount. Hence, Q is a maximum when B-B is at the N.A., and so is the shear stress τ.

Likes chetzread
SteamKing said:
No, I said the neutral axis is used as the reference axis for the calculation of Q. There's a difference.

You can set up a calculation for different values of Q as the location of the shear stress moves from the outer fiber to the neutral axis.

calculate-long-shear.png

When the line B-B is located at the outer fiber of the beam, A = 0 and Q = 0, which also implies that τ = 0.

By bringing the axis B-B closer to the N.A., the area A above B-B is increasing, while y-bar is getting smaller. What happens to the product A * y-bar?

If the axis B-B is y units from the N.A.,then A = (d/2 - y) * width and y-bar = (d/2 + y) / 2.

For any other value of y, Q will be less than this amount. Hence, Q is a maximum when B-B is at the N.A., and so is the shear stress τ.
Thanks , everything is clear now

SteamKing said:

calculate-long-shear.png

ybar should be y , right ? it's measured from the neutral axis to the centroid of B-B , right ? as in the figure...

or the y bar means distance from centroid of an area to extreme fibre ?
In your calculation , it's y-bar = (d/2 + y) / 2
So , you are taking the extreme fiber as the fiber at the bottom plane ? Why not upper plane ?

Related to Calculating Shear Stress: Understanding the Role of Y in Shear Force Diagrams

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces act parallel to each other, but in opposite directions, causing a deformation or strain in the material.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the cross-sectional area of the material, also known as the shear force (F), by the area (A). This can be represented by the equation τ = F/A.

3. What is the role of Y in shear force diagrams?

In shear force diagrams, Y represents the vertical axis and is used to plot the magnitude of the shear force at different points along the length of the material. It is also used to determine the maximum shear stress that the material can withstand.

4. How do you interpret a shear force diagram?

A shear force diagram is a graphical representation of the shear forces acting on a material. The horizontal axis represents the length of the material, while the vertical axis represents the magnitude of the shear force. The diagram can be interpreted by looking at the direction and magnitude of the shear forces at different points along the length of the material.

5. Why is understanding shear stress important in engineering?

Understanding shear stress is important in engineering because it helps determine the strength and stability of materials. It is also crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand different types of forces and stresses. Additionally, it is important in predicting and preventing potential failures in materials and structures.