Calculating Separated Distance after Coulomb's Law Interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the new separated distance between two charges after they touch and repel. The charges have a mass of 51g and an initial separated distance of 10.0cm. The conversation includes a picture and equations for the electric force and gravitational force. The solution involves finding the average charge and using force diagrams to set up equations for the horizontal and vertical forces. The final answer is 0.1m or 10cm.
Suy

Homework Statement

I just have a quiz, but i don't get this question
this is all i can remember
A=-4.0*10^-6C
B=+2.5*10^-6C
mass of sphere: 51g
initial separated distance:10.0cm
If A and B touch and then repel, what is the new separated distance
After they touch,
Tension force on the string is 0.578N
this is the picture after they touch
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5527/26792246.jpg

Homework Equations

Fe=(kq1q2)/r2
F=mg?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get this question at all, but i know i need to find the force first...
After they touch, the electron divide equally, so +2.5*10^-6 neutralize -2.5*10^-6, 1.5*10^-6 left, and divide by 2 is 0.75*10^-6
am i right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think you have correctly averaged the charges.
The next step is to make a careful diagram of the forces involved. On each charge, there is an electric force, gravitational force and the pull of the string. Sketch these vectors for one of the charges and then get expressions for their horizontal and vertical components.

After that, you use the fact that the total force on the charge must be zero in both the vertical and horizontal directions because the charge is not accelerating. This should give you two equations to solve and find the angle.

How do you sketch electric force, can you show me?
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/962/72025656.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 347
Last edited by a moderator:
0=tan(30)mg+sin(30)*0.578N+(-Fe/cos(30))
solve for radius,
the answer is 0.1m, 10 cm
am i right?

I don't follow your solution. The force diagram for the charge on the right should show the electric force going to the right. The gravity force down. The tension force along the string. The equation for the horizontal forces would have only two forces in it.
The equation for the vertical forces would have only two forces.
Your equation has three forces.

Why only have two force acting on it,? but isn't there are 3 force(tension,gravity,electric force)
can you show me the equation?
ty!

You must write that the sum of the forces is zero in the horizontal direction. And in the vertical direction. For the horizontal direction, there is no force of gravity so only two forces. I don't think I'm supposed to spoil your experience by giving away the equations before you attempt them.

ok,but do i really need vertical direction ?

Related to Calculating Separated Distance after Coulomb's Law Interaction

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the equation for Coulomb's Law?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for Coulomb's Law is newtons (N) in the SI system or dyne in the CGS system.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases.

5. How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation are similar in that they both describe the force between two objects. However, Coulomb's Law applies to electrostatic force between charged particles, while Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation applies to gravitational force between any two objects with mass.