Calculating satellites´ period of revolution

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the trajectory and period of revolution of a satellite orbiting 4200km above Earth's surface. The question of the acceleration of gravity at that height is brought up, along with the consideration of the centripetal acceleration and the need for the satellite's mass to calculate the acceleration of gravity. However, it is determined that the mass is not needed as the two accelerations will offset each other to keep the satellite in orbit. Overall, the conversation provides helpful insights on understanding the concept of satellite orbits.
JukuJohannes

Homework Statement

Earths´ satellite orbits 4200km above Earths surface. Count satellites´ trajectory circle-shaped and calculate satellites´period of revolution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I added the Earths´ radius to the 4200 km, which represents the orbiting attitude and then my mind crashed...
please some helpo:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What is the acceleration of gravity at that height? (Hint: it's not 9.8)

What other acceleration is there from circular motion?

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

What is the acceleration of gravity at that height? (Hint: it's not 9.8)

What other acceleration is there from circular motion?

Of course the centripetal-acceleration but I thought that I should know the mass of the satellite to calculate the acceleration of gravity...

btw.. thanks for the welcome

JukuJohannes said:
Of course the centripetal-acceleration but I thought that I should know the mass of the satellite to calculate the acceleration of gravity...

btw.. thanks for the welcome

Since the 2 accelerations will need to offset to stay in orbit, you won't need the mass.

LowlyPion said:
Since the 2 accelerations will need to offset to stay in orbit, you won't need the mass.

yeah, that settles it down, I think I can see the big picture now,
Thank You!

Related to Calculating satellites´ period of revolution

1. How do you calculate the period of revolution for a satellite?

The period of revolution for a satellite can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where T is the period in seconds, π is a mathematical constant, a is the semi-major axis of the satellite's orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central body (usually a planet or star).

2. What is the significance of calculating a satellite's period of revolution?

The period of revolution for a satellite is important because it determines the length of time it takes for the satellite to complete one orbit around its central body. This information is crucial for understanding and predicting the satellite's position and movement in space.

3. Can the period of revolution for a satellite change over time?

Yes, the period of revolution for a satellite can change over time if there are external forces acting on the satellite, such as gravitational pulls from other objects or atmospheric drag. In addition, if the satellite's orbit is not perfectly circular, its period of revolution may vary slightly with each revolution.

4. How does the mass of the central body affect the period of revolution for a satellite?

The mass of the central body has a direct impact on the period of revolution for a satellite. The larger the mass of the central body, the stronger its gravitational pull, and the shorter the period of revolution for the satellite will be. This is because the greater gravitational force will cause the satellite to move faster in its orbit.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the period of revolution for a satellite?

Yes, besides the mass of the central body, there are other factors that can affect the period of revolution for a satellite. These include the shape and size of the satellite's orbit, the presence of other objects in the vicinity, and any external forces acting on the satellite. Additionally, the period of revolution for a satellite may be influenced by changes in the central body's mass or the satellite's own mass over time.