Calculating Rotational Speed for 2g Experience in a Rotating Machine

In summary, a NASA astronaut is placed in a rotating machine to measure their tolerance to G Force. To calculate the necessary rotational speed for the machine, the centripetal force formula F = (m*v^2)/r is used, with the astronaut's mass, the desired force (2g), and the machine's radius. The mass of the machine is not considered in the calculation.
jtizzleg

Homework Statement

A NASA astronaut is placed in a rotating machine to see how well their bodies withstand G Force.
What rotational speed is needed in a device that has a 6.25 m radius to allow a 75.8 kg astronaut to experience a force that is twice his normal weight (or 2g)?

Homework Equations

Centripedal Force formula:
F = (m*v^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am wondering if that's the right equation, as it's the only equation I've found to use the radius of the machine, force, and mass given.
Just trying to confirm some things:
Do I assume the machine has no mass? No mass for the machine is given to be summed to the mass of the astronaut, so I assume that the only mass I calculate.

Do I multiply the mass by two? since I'm trying to find the speed needed for the machine to exert double his mass.

Also, is this even the right formula? Or did I get something wrong?

Edit: Scratch that second question, just figured that the Force would be the 2g, while the mass I'm assuming is his weight alone, unless I have to account for the machine's mass too.

Physics news on Phys.org
your formula is right. equate it with 2mg. the mass of the machine doesn't play any role.

Related to Calculating Rotational Speed for 2g Experience in a Rotating Machine

What is rotational speed?

Rotational speed refers to the number of rotations per unit of time, usually measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

What is G-force?

G-force is the force exerted on an object by the acceleration due to gravity. It is typically measured in multiples of the acceleration of gravity, with 1 G being equal to the normal force of gravity on Earth.

How are rotational speed and G-force related?

Rotational speed and G-force are related because as an object rotates, it experiences centrifugal force, which is a type of G-force. The faster the object rotates, the greater the centrifugal force and the higher the G-force.

What is the formula for calculating G-force?

The formula for calculating G-force is G = (V^2 * R) / g, where G is the G-force, V is the velocity, R is the radius of rotation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is known as the centrifugal force formula.

What are some real-life examples of high rotational speed and G-force?

Some real-life examples of high rotational speed and G-force include amusement park rides like roller coasters and spinning rides, professional race cars, and fighter jet maneuvers. These activities can experience G-forces of up to 8 Gs or more.