Calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy: How do I find the answer for part 2?

• Thread starter makeAwish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, a question is asked regarding rotational kinetic energy and the total moment of inertia of two welded metal disks. The first part is answered, and then the second part is discussed with an attempt at a solution using the conservation of energy. However, there is a mistake in the calculation of the angular velocity, which is corrected in the end.
makeAwish
Rotational KE. urgent, help pls!

Homework Statement

Two metal disks, one with radius = 2.54cm and mass = 0.820kg and the other with radius = 4.98cm and mass = 1.68kg , are welded together and mounted on a frictionless axis through their common center.

a.What is the total moment of inertia of the two disks?

I have found the answer to be 0.00235 kgm^2

b. A light string is wrapped around the edge of the smaller disk, and a 1.50-kg block, suspended from the free end of the string. If the block is released from rest at a distance of 2.10m above the floor, what is its speed just before it strikes the floor?

c. Repeat the calculation of part B, this time with the string wrapped around the edge of the larger disk.

The attempt at a solution

How do u find part 2?? i use consevation of energy,

where initial KE = 0 and final U = 0
initial U = mass of block * g * 2.1
KE of block = 0.5mv^2
KR of wheels = 0.5 * total inertia * omega ^2, where omega = v^2/radius of small wheel

but i can't get ans. where have i gone wrong?
can someone help me pls? urgent!

thanks.

Attachments

• YF-09-37.jpg
    YF-09-37.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 745
Physics news on Phys.org
janettaywx said:
KR of wheels = 0.5 * total inertia * omega ^2, where omega = v^2/radius of small wheel

Hi janettaywx! :smile:

(what happened to that ω i gave you in the other thread? :rolleyes:)

No, ω = v/radius :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi janettaywx! :smile:

(what happened to that ω i gave you in the other thread? :rolleyes:)

No, ω = v/radius :wink:

OMG!

Haha. I think i was too tired ytd night.. Thanks! :)

Related to Calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy: How do I find the answer for part 2?

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is dependent on the object's mass, radius, and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy different from linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy and linear kinetic energy are different because rotational kinetic energy is associated with an object's rotation around an axis, while linear kinetic energy is associated with an object's motion in a straight line.

3. What is the formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How does changing the moment of inertia affect rotational kinetic energy?

Changing the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotation, directly affects the rotational kinetic energy. Increasing the moment of inertia will decrease the rotational kinetic energy, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world examples of rotational kinetic energy?

Some real-world examples of rotational kinetic energy include spinning tops, merry-go-rounds, and wheels rotating on an axle. Sports like ice skating, figure skating, and gymnastics also involve rotational kinetic energy.