Calculating Rotational Energy of a System with Three Masses and an Impulse

In summary, Homework Statement discusses an object that has three masses connected by a rodless mass. If the object is free to rotate in space, about what point will it spin? If a small mass (0.1 kg) drops onto the system, what is the period of rotation immediately after impact? Finally, the rotational kinectic energy of the system is found after the impact.
LindaNguyen

Homework Statement

Suppose three masses are arranged as shown, connected by a rodless mass.

(2 kg)-------(6 kg)--------(4 kg)

2m 3m

a) If this object is free to rotate in space, about what point will it spin?

Cm = 2(0) + 6(2) + 4(5)
_______________ = 2.7m

b) A small mass (m=0.1 kg) drops vertically onto the2 kg mass traveling 100 m/s and buries intself into the mass. What is the period of rotation of the system immediately after impact?

I'm not sure how I would begin setting this problem up.

c) What is the rotational kinectic energy of the system after the impact?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, LindaNguyen!

LindaNguyen said:

Homework Statement

Suppose three masses are arranged as shown, connected by a rodless mass.

(2 kg)-------(6 kg)--------(4 kg)

2m 3m

a) If this object is free to rotate in space, about what point will it spin?

Cm = 2(0) + 6(2) + 4(5)
_______________ = 2.7m

Looks good, except, are you sure that there wasn't some rounding error in your final answer? It's just a bit off from what I got. Oh, and you wrote "rodless mass", which I got a bit of a kick out of. :wink: (Not making fun of you, just thought it was a neat transposition).

LindaNguyen said:
b) A small mass (m=0.1 kg) drops vertically onto the2 kg mass traveling 100 m/s and buries intself into the mass. What is the period of rotation of the system immediately after impact?

I'm not sure how I would begin setting this problem up.

The key physics principle here is that angular momentum around the centre of rotation has to be conserved. Even the small mass, when it is just moving through space, has a certain amount of angular momentum. The amount depends on the point around which you measure the angular momentum, since L = r x p = r x mv. At the moment of impact, the vector r between the centre of rotation and the little mass is perpendicular to the vector v, so this cross product is simple to evaluate. Since angular momentum is conserved, you can equate this to the angular momentum of the whole system (rod + embedded mass) after the impact. You should be able to compute this easily enough (you'll need to find the moment of inertia of the system around the rotation point). EDIT: once you know the angular momentum, the angular speed should follow form that.

LindaNguyen said:
c) What is the rotational kinectic energy of the system after the impact?

This is just a matter of applying the right equation.

Thank you, Cepheid! I'm not very good at posting on forums so bare with me. I'll learn how to quote and etc. soon enough!

Part A) Sorry for the typo, hehe. I have a million things going on right now. As for the rounding error, I'm still getting 2.666666. I'm trying to find the center of mass here, correct? The 2m was supposed to be the distance between the first 2 masses and the 3m was supposed ot be the distance between the second 2 masses. I'm not sure why it came out like that, but...

[ 2(0) + 6(2) + 4(5) ] / 12 ----> 32/12 = 2.7m.

I'm working out the other parts right now, will get back to you!

The problem was that I can't do arithmetic.

Carry on.

I'm still a tad bit lost on part B. Should I be finding the angular momentum about its center of mass?

LindaNguyen said:
I'm still a tad bit lost on part B. Should I be finding the angular momentum about its center of mass?

Yes, you want to find the angular momentum of the little mass around the centre of mass of the rod system at the moment of impact. Then equate this to the angular momentum of the entire system around this point after the collision. This is because angular momentum is conserved, so it should be the same before and after the collision.

I gave you the equation for finding the angular momentum of a single point mass around a point in space. The position vector r is a vector giving the position of the point mass relative to the location around which you're computing the angular momentum (which is the centre of mass of the rod in this case).

Ah, I get it now (kind of)
L=IW (true for any object spinning around it's cm)
L=RxP (around an exterior point)
-----------------------------------------------------------
so, after I find the angular momentum about the small mass, I can set it to the whole system using L=IW, correct?

also.. if I'm finding the angular momentum of the small ***, would it look something like: (2.7i, 0j, 0k) x (0i, -10j, 0k) ---> -10 coming from mv (velocity is going down?)

Here's what I've come up with:
r x p = I'm getting 27.

if I do Ii Wi = If Wf
--->using I=mr^2 ; w=v/r ; r=CM=2.7m
I end up with 27 also.

now If Wf = 2(2.7)^2 + 6(0.7)^2 + 4(2.3)^2 * w

I know I solve for W after this but I'm not sure if I have the numbers in the ( ) correct.

Related to Calculating Rotational Energy of a System with Three Masses and an Impulse

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy associated with an object's rotation. It is a form of kinetic energy that depends on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational energy calculated?

The equation for rotational energy is E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

3. What is the difference between rotational energy and linear energy?

Rotational energy is the energy associated with an object's rotation, while linear energy is the energy associated with an object's linear motion. Rotational energy depends on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, while linear energy depends on mass and velocity.

4. How does rotational energy affect an object's motion?

Rotational energy contributes to an object's total energy, which determines its motion. As the rotational energy increases, the object's angular velocity also increases, leading to faster rotation.

5. How is rotational energy used in real-world applications?

Rotational energy has many practical applications, such as in the operation of engines, turbines, and motors. It is also used in sports equipment like bicycles and gyroscope-based toys. Additionally, rotational energy is utilized in the generation of electricity through wind turbines and hydroelectric dams.