Calculating Rod Speeds with Algebraic Formulas

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a formula for a spreadsheet to calculate values, specifically for a rod swinging around an axis. The formula rearranges the equations w=(d/r)/t and v=d/t to find v2 if r2 is inputted. The conversation also mentions the need for an engineer to check the formula before implementation.
demackison
I am trying to create a formula for a spreadsheet to calculate values and it has been thirty years since high school algebra. Here are the formulas I need to rearrange.

w=(d/r)/t
v=d/t

w is an unknown constant and I have values for v1 and r1
I need the formula to spit out v2 if I input r2 in the spreadsheet

Mathematics news on Phys.org
demackison said:
it has been thirty years since high school algebra.
We normally don't give away ready made answers, but in this (very simple) case I'll make an exception, as it seems, that a tutorial on how to deal with quotients might not be appropriate in your case. But in general please use our homework section for these kind of questions, the automatically inserted template and especially tell us, what you don't understand, i.e. where you got stuck and why.

##w=(d/r)/t = \dfrac{\frac{d}{r}}{\frac{t}{1}}=\dfrac{d}{r} \cdot \dfrac{1}{t}= \dfrac{d}{r\cdot t}=\dfrac{d}{t} \cdot \dfrac{1}{r}=\dfrac{v}{r}##.

So if ##\dfrac{v_1}{r_1}=w= \dfrac{v_2}{r_2}## then ##v_2= \dfrac{v_1}{r_1}\cdot r_2 = \dfrac{v_1 \cdot r_2}{r_1}##.

Thanks!

demackison said:
Thanks!

I had converted to d/r * t/1, in error.

demackison said:
Thanks!
Only if ##\frac{d_1}{r_1}=\frac{d_2}{r_2}## but you haven't explained anything about the assumptions which are allowed or not, especially nothing about ##d##. That's why I said: If ##\frac{v_1}{r_1}=\frac{v_2}{r_2}##. I cannot know.

The formula was for a rod swinging around an axis with the speed of one end of the rod known. In essence, the spreadsheet will show what various longer or shorter rods will do to the speed at the other end.

Don't worry, this will be checked by an actual engineer before anything is implemented. :)

Related to Calculating Rod Speeds with Algebraic Formulas

1. What is "stumbling over basic algebra"?

"Stumbling over basic algebra" refers to having difficulty understanding and solving simple algebraic equations or problems.

2. Why is it important to understand basic algebra?

Basic algebra is the foundation for more advanced math concepts and is used in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance. It also helps improve problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when learning basic algebra?

Some common mistakes include not following the correct order of operations, misinterpreting negative signs, and forgetting to apply the distributive property.

4. How can I improve my understanding of basic algebra?

Practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Utilize online resources and textbooks to review and reinforce concepts. It may also be helpful to break down problems into smaller, manageable steps.

5. Can I still succeed in science if I struggle with basic algebra?

Yes, you can still succeed in science with basic algebra skills. However, it may be more challenging and limit your understanding of certain concepts. It is important to continuously work on improving your algebra skills, as it will benefit your overall understanding and success in science.