Calculating Rocket Speed at a Distant Location

• Thread starter bcjochim07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of a rocket launched from Earth's surface when it is very far away. The solution uses the conservation of energy and the equation K=.5mv^2 to determine that the speed is 9988 m/s. The conversation also touches on the concept of potential energy decreasing with increasing distance from the Earth, which is due to the potential energy being a negative number that approaches zero with distance.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched straight up from the Earth's surface at a speed of 15,000 m/s. What is its speed when it is very far away from earth?

Homework Equations

K=.5mv^2
U=-GMm/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this correct: I used conservation of energy and assumed very far was where U=0

(.5)(m)(15000m/s)^2 + -[(6.67*10^-11)(5.98*10^24)m]/[6.37*10^6m)=.5mv^2
v=9988 m/s

Also could someone explain to me why potential energy decreases with increasing height in this case as opposed to increasing U by lifting an object above the ground on earth.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation looks okay to me.

bcjochim07 said:
Also could someone explain to me why potential energy decreases with increasing height in this case as opposed to increasing U by lifting an object above the ground on earth.

It doesn't; the potential energy is a negative number that get closer to zero with increasing height (i.e., distance away from the earth), which means it is increasing.

Oh yeah. I see exactly what you are saying. Thanks!

Related to Calculating Rocket Speed at a Distant Location

1. What factors affect the speed of launching a rocket?

The speed of launching a rocket depends on several factors such as the weight of the rocket and its payload, the amount of thrust generated by the rocket engines, and the atmospheric conditions during launch. Other factors include the design of the rocket, the type of fuel used, and the efficiency of the launch system.

2. How fast can a rocket travel during launch?

The speed of a rocket during launch can vary greatly depending on the type of rocket and its intended destination. However, on average, rockets can reach speeds of around 28,000 kilometers per hour (17,500 miles per hour) during launch.

3. What is the typical acceleration rate of a rocket during launch?

The acceleration rate of a rocket during launch also varies depending on the type of rocket and its intended destination. However, most rockets experience an acceleration rate of around 3 to 4 times the force of gravity (3-4g) during launch.

4. Can a rocket go faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light, let alone faster. Rockets can travel at incredibly high speeds, but they are limited by the laws of physics and cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How does the speed of a rocket change during different stages of launch?

The speed of a rocket changes throughout different stages of launch. Initially, the rocket will experience a slow acceleration as it overcomes the force of gravity and atmospheric resistance. As it reaches higher altitudes, the rocket's speed will increase due to the decrease in air resistance. Finally, during the final stage of launch, the rocket will reach its maximum speed before entering orbit.