Calculating RiemannScalar in 2-D: Where to Start

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of showing that the curvature scalar (RiemannScalar) can be found using the symmetries of the Riemann tensor. The conversation also touches on the use of inverse matrices, anti-symmetry properties, and contractions to compute the Riemann tensor and scalar. The participants are also grateful for the help provided.
ssamsymn
Where should I start from to show that curvature scalar (RiemannScalar) is

2[itex]\frac{R_1212}{det (g_μ√)}[/itex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am asked to show it by the symmetries of the Riemann tensor by the way.

Ok here is my thoughts, I try to stay away from the connection coefficients. So, I don't write the R tensors in form of [itex]\Gamma[/itex]'s. So I am trying:

R= g[itex]^{αβ}[/itex] R[itex]_{αβ}[/itex]
= g[itex]^{αβ}[/itex] R[itex]^{c}[/itex][itex]_{αcβ}[/itex]
= g[itex]^{αβ}[/itex] g[itex]^{αb}[/itex] R[itex]_{bαcβ}[/itex]

but now I can't have the R[itex]_{αβαβ}[/itex] form. Since it is 2-d, I put α=1 and β=2, but the c and b contractions doesn't give me what I want.

How can get that 2R[itex]_{1212}[/itex] ?

Last edited:
remember that gαβ is the inverse matrix of gαβ. And it's easy to take the inverse of a 2 x 2 matrix.

Write out completely the individual components of gαβ in terms of the gαβ components and see what you get.

My thoughts are to start by looking at the only completely anti-symmetric 2-form , which must have components

[tex]
\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
0 & R \\
-R & 0 \\
\end{array} \right]
[/tex]

Now we know that R_abcd = 0 if a=b or c=d by the anti-symmetry properties, and also that R_abcd = R_bacd and that R_abcd = -R_abdc

This, and a little thought, gives us the value of all the components of R, which can be described as an anti-symmetric 2d array of two-forms, i.e. it looks like the array above, but the members of the array are the anti-symmetric two-forms.

Next we just have to compute the contractions to get the Riemann tensor and scalar, which I'm too lazy to do by hand.

Thank you very much.

Yes I rewrited everything with g lower index.

I am not sure about that symmetry:

R[itex]^{αβ}[/itex][itex]_{αβ}[/itex]= - R[itex]^{βα}[/itex][itex]_{βα}[/itex]

But I feel I am close to it. Thank you again.

Related to Calculating RiemannScalar in 2-D: Where to Start

1. How do I calculate RiemannScalar in 2-D?

To calculate RiemannScalar in 2-D, you need to follow a specific formula, which involves taking the derivative of the metric tensor and performing matrix multiplication. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of multivariable calculus and linear algebra before attempting this calculation.

2. What is the significance of RiemannScalar in 2-D?

RiemannScalar in 2-D is a measure of the curvature of a two-dimensional surface. It is an important quantity in the study of differential geometry and has applications in various fields such as physics and engineering.

3. Can RiemannScalar in 2-D be negative?

Yes, RiemannScalar in 2-D can have negative values. This indicates a saddle-shaped surface with negative curvature, as opposed to a positive value which would indicate a surface with positive curvature.

4. Where can I find resources to help me calculate RiemannScalar in 2-D?

There are many online resources, textbooks, and tutorials available to assist with calculating RiemannScalar in 2-D. It is also recommended to consult with a mentor or fellow scientist who has experience with this calculation.

5. Are there any simplifications or shortcuts for calculating RiemannScalar in 2-D?

While there are some special cases where the calculation of RiemannScalar in 2-D can be simplified, in general, there are no shortcuts for this calculation. It requires a thorough understanding of the mathematical concepts involved and cannot be easily simplified.