Calculating RH & Rp in an Open Dust-Filled Universe

• Thread starter sltungle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of parametric solutions of the Friedmann equations to calculate the radius of the Hubble sphere (RH) for a dust-filled open universe. It also mentions comparing this radius with the particle horizon (Rp) for the same universe in order to determine if there exists a time when RH = Rp. To answer this question, the chain rule is used to determine a'(t) since a is not in terms of t and the equations cannot be rearranged. The conversation also mentions the intention to find the equation for the particle horizon and plot both functions on the same axes, but notes that the Ω0 terms may not drop out of the equation. This may require a 3D graph with x values
sltungle
1. Using the parametric solution of the Friedmann equations for a open, dust-filled universe

i) Calculate the radius of the Hubble sphere (RH) for a 'dust filled' open universe.
ii) Compare this with the radius of the particle horizon (Rp) for the same universe and determine if there exists a time when RH = Rp

Homework Equations

Capture.png

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (i) I've used the fact that,

Capture_03.png

to attempt to determine RH.

Given that a is not in terms of t and the equations can't be rearranged to give a in terms of t I've opted to use the chain rule to determine a'(t)

Capture_05.png

This is the correct way to proceed with the question (according to my lecturer).

Here's where I get confused though. Because t is already a function of x, do I simply use a(x) as my a(t)? That being, is the 't' in a(t) already accounted for by the fact that a(t) is actually (a(t(x))), or do I have to take da/dt, 'multiply' both sides of my equation by dt (don't get angry at me, pure mathematicians), and then integrate (where dt is actually dt(x)) to find a(t)?

To answer part (ii) I intended to find the equation for the particle horizon and then plot both functions (RH and Rp) on the same axes and check to see if there was ever an intercept, but I need to get RH correct in order to do that, so I'm not going to jump ahead of myself just yet. However, that said, just from the looks of things I don't think all of my Ω0 terms are going to drop out of the equation, so I'm not sure how I'm going to approach this if they stick around. I guess I might need to plot a 3D graph with x values, omega values, and respective RH and Rp values.

I apologise if this is a bit convoluted. I intended to use latex, but I'm not sure how to get it working on here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Nobody? This question is really bugging me. I'd really appreciate the help.

Related to Calculating RH & Rp in an Open Dust-Filled Universe

1. What is RH and Rp in an open dust-filled universe?

RH refers to the Hubble radius, which is the distance at which objects are moving away from each other due to the expansion of the universe at a rate faster than the speed of light. Rp refers to the particle radius, which is the size of the dust particle that is being studied in relation to its effects on the expansion of the universe.

2. How is RH calculated in an open dust-filled universe?

RH can be calculated using the formula: RH = c/H0, where c is the speed of light and H0 is the Hubble constant, which represents the rate of expansion of the universe. This formula takes into account the effects of dust particles on the expansion of the universe.

3. What factors affect the calculation of Rp in an open dust-filled universe?

The calculation of Rp is affected by the size and density of the dust particles, as well as the distance of the particles from each other and from the observer. Other factors that may influence Rp include the composition and temperature of the dust particles.

4. How does calculating RH and Rp help us understand the dynamics of an open dust-filled universe?

By calculating RH and Rp, scientists are able to better understand the effects of dust particles on the expansion of the universe. This can provide insights into the overall dynamics of the universe and how it evolves over time.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating RH and Rp in an open dust-filled universe?

One limitation is that the calculations may be affected by uncertainties in the measurements of H0 and the properties of the dust particles. Additionally, the presence of other factors such as dark matter and dark energy may also impact the accuracy of the calculations.