Calculating Resonator Stability with Lens & Mirror

In summary, the focal length of the curved mirror is 50 mm and the distance between the lens and mirror is 100 mm. The beam size at the waist, where the distance is the smallest, can be calculated using the formula $w_0=\frac{\lambda}{\pi}\sqrt{\frac{2f}{1+f/f_r}}$ where $\lambda$ is the wavelength of light, $f$ is the focal length of the lens, and $f_r$ is the radius of curvature of the curved mirror. With the given values, the beam size at the waist is approximately 0.38 times the wavelength.
CptXray
Homework Statement
I have a laser cavity with one flat mirror ##R_{1} = \infty,## one positive lens with the focal length ##f_{lens}=50 \, mm## and curved mirror on the end of curvature ##R_{2}=100 \, mm.## The total length of the resonator is fixed and is equal to ##L = 1000 \, mm.## For what values of ##d## is the resonator stable? What is the distance d for which the waist size between the lens and mirror is the smallest? What is the size of the beam waist in this case? Assume ##TEM_{00}## mode.
Relevant Equations
Focal length of curved mirror:
$$f_{curved} = \frac{R_{2}}{2}.$$
laser.jpg

I guess the resonator will be stable when both focal lengths of lens and curved mirror meet. The curved mirror is fixed and it's focal length:
$$f_{curved} = \frac{R_{2}}{2} = 50 \, mm.$$ Then the d should be: $$d=f_{lens}+f_{curved} = 100 \, mm.$$ I think that's also the distance for which the waist size is the smallest, but I don't really know how to get it's exact size. If someone who knows what's going on here could give me a hint or textbook where this is explained I'd be really grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:If the curved mirror is a parabolic mirror, then its focal length is equal to its radius of curvature. So, you have correctly calculated the distance between the lens and the mirror as $d=100$ mm. The beam size at the waist is given by the formula$$w_0=\frac{\lambda}{\pi}\sqrt{\frac{2f}{1+f/f_r}}$$where $\lambda$ is the wavelength of the light, $f$ is the focal length of the lens and $f_r$ is the radius of curvature of the curved mirror.Using your values, you get$$ w_0 = \frac{\lambda}{\pi}\sqrt{\frac{200}{1+200/50}} \approx 0.38 \,\lambda $$

Related to Calculating Resonator Stability with Lens & Mirror

1. How do I calculate the stability of a resonator with lenses and mirrors?

The stability of a resonator with lenses and mirrors can be calculated using the ABCD matrix method. This method involves determining the ABCD matrix for each optical element in the resonator and then multiplying them together to get the overall ABCD matrix for the entire system. The stability can then be determined by analyzing the eigenvalues of the ABCD matrix.

2. What factors affect the stability of a resonator with lenses and mirrors?

The stability of a resonator with lenses and mirrors can be affected by several factors, including the positions and curvatures of the lenses and mirrors, the distance between them, and the refractive index of the medium in which the light is propagating. Changes in any of these factors can impact the stability of the resonator.

3. What is the role of lens and mirror in a resonator?

Lenses and mirrors are essential components in a resonator as they help to shape and control the light within the resonator. The lenses are used to focus the light, while the mirrors are used to reflect the light back and forth, creating an optical feedback that is necessary for lasing to occur. Together, they form the cavity of the resonator.

4. How does the stability of a resonator with lenses and mirrors affect its performance?

The stability of a resonator with lenses and mirrors is crucial for its performance. A stable resonator will have a well-defined beam profile and will produce a single-mode output with a narrow linewidth. On the other hand, an unstable resonator can lead to mode hopping, higher laser noise, and a broader linewidth, which can significantly affect the quality of the laser output.

5. Can the stability of a resonator with lenses and mirrors be improved?

Yes, the stability of a resonator with lenses and mirrors can be improved by optimizing the positions and curvatures of the lenses and mirrors, as well as the distance between them. Additionally, using a high-quality optical material with a low refractive index can also improve the stability of the resonator. Regular maintenance and alignment of the resonator can also help to maintain its stability and improve its performance.