Calculating Resistor Value for Driving LEDs with an NPN Transistor

In summary, the transistor is used to drive a constant current I through three ‘white’ LEDs, connected in series. If the required current value is I = 25 mA, and the current-gain of the transistor is β = 300, find the value of the resistor R, giving your answer to 3 significant figures.
beesher

Homework Statement

an npn transistor is used to drive a constant current I through three ‘white’ LEDs, connected in series. If the required current value is I = 25 mA, and the current-gain of the transistor is β = 300, find the value of the resistor R, giving your answer to 3 significant figures. You may assume for the operating conditions specified that the base-emitter voltage of the transistor is 600mV, and that its saturation voltage is 150mV.

I should point out that the base of the transistor is connected to a voltage divider, with a resistor of 10k above a resistor R.

Homework Equations

Base Current = [tex]\frac{collector current}{gain}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys looking for a bit of help on a past paper for my instrumentation class.

In this problem, I've tried to find the base current by dividing 25 by 300, and I'm a bit stumped as to the next step. Do i simply need to to divide the base current by the saturation voltage, or is that completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a while since working with transistor circuits, and I think I completely forget what saturation currents and voltages were, whoo

But anyways there should be some voltage going into that voltage divider, so you can figure out Vin(voltage at base) and the base current via that, and base current times gain is collector current. Since the base current depends on R, you can figure out R. There may be more nuances in there but I think that's the idea

Circuit..

Here's a circuit diagram if that can give anyone a better idea of the circuit in question.

Attachments

• Help!.bmp
    84.9 KB · Views: 496
You set the 25mA by setting the emitter voltage, because that determines the current through the emitter resistor. Ve is Vb - 600mV, so that tells you what you need for Vb. But in setting Vb, you need to account for some base current that bypasses the base resistor R.

BTW, the base resistor R and the emitter resistor "68R" cannot possibly be referring to the same "R". Does the diagram mean that the emitter resistor is 68 Ohms?

Also, keep in mind that the current through the emitter resistor is really the LED current plus the base current. Granted, 1/300 is a small number, but to be accurate (and receive full points for the answer), you need to keep track of that current.

That should be enough info to get you going again. Post up your calcs when you're done, and we'll take a look.

Cheers

berkeman said:
You set the 25mA by setting the emitter voltage, because that determines the current through the emitter resistor. Ve is Vb - 600mV, so that tells you what you need for Vb. But in setting Vb, you need to account for some base current that bypasses the base resistor R.

BTW, the base resistor R and the emitter resistor "68R" cannot possibly be referring to the same "R". Does the diagram mean that the emitter resistor is 68 Ohms?

Also, keep in mind that the current through the emitter resistor is really the LED current plus the base current. Granted, 1/300 is a small number, but to be accurate (and receive full points for the answer), you need to keep track of that current.

That should be enough info to get you going again. Post up your calcs when you're done, and we'll take a look.

Ok, thanks very much I'll get it finished tomorrow. Oh and yes the 68R is simply referring to Ohms.
Edit; Still can't figure it out :(

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Resistor Value for Driving LEDs with an NPN Transistor

1. What is the purpose of using an NPN transistor to drive LEDs?

The NPN transistor acts as a switch, allowing us to control the flow of current to the LEDs and turn them on and off. This allows us to use a smaller voltage source to power the LEDs, saving energy and reducing the risk of damaging the LEDs.

2. How do I calculate the value of the resistor needed to drive LEDs with an NPN transistor?

The formula for calculating the resistor value is R = (Vs - Vf) / If, where R is the resistance in ohms, Vs is the voltage source, Vf is the forward voltage of the LED, and If is the desired current for the LED. You can also use online calculators or pre-made circuits to determine the resistor value.

3. Can I use any NPN transistor to drive LEDs?

It is important to choose a transistor with appropriate specifications for driving LEDs. Look for a transistor with a high collector current rating (Ic) and a low collector-emitter saturation voltage (Vce sat). It is also recommended to use a transistor with a beta (current gain) of at least 100.

4. How do I connect the NPN transistor to the LEDs and voltage source?

The NPN transistor should be connected in a common-emitter configuration, with the collector connected to the positive terminal of the voltage source, the emitter connected to the negative terminal, and the base connected to a resistor and then to a control signal (such as an Arduino pin). The LEDs should be connected in series with the collector and to ground, with a resistor in between to limit the current.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using an NPN transistor to drive LEDs?

Some common mistakes include using a transistor with incorrect specifications, not using a resistor to limit the current to the LEDs, and connecting the transistor in the wrong configuration. It is also important to use the correct voltage source for the LEDs and to double check all connections for accuracy.