Calculating Resistance of Y with X & Variable Resistor

In summary, the conversation involves measuring the values of two resistors (X and Y) in parallel, using a variable resistor, ammeter and voltmeter. The question is raised on how to calculate the resistance of Y, and the formula of 1/x + 1/y = 1/R is discussed. It is noted that the total resistance of two parallel resistors should always be less than the resistance of the individual ones. The use of the variable resistor in measurements and calculations is also mentioned. Later, a mistake is discovered and corrected in the calculation of 1/R - 1/x, resulting in a negative number.
CAH
I've got two resistors in parallel (X and Y) and a variable resistor, ammeter and voltmeter. SEE PHOTO!

I've calculated the value of X by measuring V and I when the switch is open. I can close the switch and measure V and I but how do I calculate the resistance of Y?

I know 1/x + 1/y = 1/R, this may be a stupid question? When I do 1/R - 1/x (where x is known from previous calculation) I get a negative number.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure 1/R - 1/x gives a negative number? The total resistans of two parallel resistors should always be less than the resistans of the individual ones.

How do you use the variable resistor in your measurments and calculations?

I varied the resistor to get values of I from 10mA, 20, 30, 40, 50mA and recorded voltage for each one and then across the parallel I did 10mA, 30, 50, 70, 90mA and recorded V then drew the graphs and used the gradient for resistance of each! :)

Since R is less than X, 1/R will be greater than 1/X and you shouldn't be getting a negative number. Set your variable resistor so that you have 10 mA of current with the switch open. Then, without changing the variable resistor close the switch and check your ammeter. What is your current at now?

CAH said:
I varied the resistor to get values of I from 10mA, 20, 30, 40, 50mA and recorded voltage for each one and then across the parallel I did 10mA, 30, 50, 70, 90mA and recorded V then drew the graphs and used the gradient for resistance of each! :)

I can't see what's wrong here, but I agree with Drakkith: the total resistance of two resistors in parallel is always less than any resistance of the individual ones, thus 1/R>1/x .
Are you sure you haven't done some little misstake, such as plotting I(U) instead of U(I) or exchanging the two series of measurements? :)

Thanks I made a ridiculously stupid mistake: I was doing 1/Rx - 1/Rt insead of 1/Rt - 1/Rx!

Related to Calculating Resistance of Y with X & Variable Resistor

1. What is the formula for calculating resistance of Y with X and a variable resistor?

The formula for calculating resistance of Y with X and a variable resistor is R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

2. How does the value of the variable resistor affect the overall resistance of the circuit?

The value of the variable resistor directly affects the overall resistance of the circuit. As the resistance of the variable resistor increases, the overall resistance of the circuit also increases. Similarly, as the resistance of the variable resistor decreases, the overall resistance of the circuit decreases.

3. Can the resistance of a circuit be negative?

No, resistance cannot be negative. It is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electricity, and a negative value would indicate that the material actually assists in the flow of electricity.

4. How can I determine the resistance of Y in a circuit with multiple resistors and a variable resistor?

To determine the resistance of Y in a circuit with multiple resistors and a variable resistor, you can use the formula R = V/I and substitute the total voltage and total current values for the entire circuit. Then, you can subtract the known resistances of the other components from the total resistance to find the resistance of Y.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of resistance a variable resistor can provide?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of resistance a variable resistor can provide. This limit is determined by the maximum resistance value of the specific variable resistor being used. It is important to check the specifications of the variable resistor to ensure that it can provide the desired resistance for the circuit.