Calculating Relativistic Mass of Rotating Object

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of an object in rotation, specifically a rock tied to the end of a string. The relevant variables are the circumference of the weight's path, the weight of the rock, and the revolutions per minute it travels around. The equation needed to determine the weight of the spinning rock is discussed, and it is suggested that a conical pendulum may be relevant. The person asking for help does not have a strong understanding of physics and only wants to know where to input the three mentioned variables to get the desired outcome.
Smelly Eggs
Hi.

I need to find the mass (relativistic mass?) Of an object in rotation.

Say I have a string with a small rock tied to the end.

The relevant variables are:

A) The circumference of the weights path.

B) The weight of the rock itself.

C) The revolutions per minute that B travels around A.

Now, what is the equation needed to put these together to tell me how much 'weight' in kg the spinning rock will exert or pull on the string? Or in other words, how do we know the amount of centripetal force (In kg) the string requires to hold to the spinning rock?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

The only thing is I don't know any physics so I don't understand those equations... I just want to know where to put the 3 variables I mentioned to get the outcome I mentioned.

Don't need to know any vertical gravity components or anything like that... just the 3 I menttioned, without concern for gravity or air resistance etc.

Cammon... this should be pretty simple for you physics guys!:-p

Related to Calculating Relativistic Mass of Rotating Object

1) What is relativistic mass?

Relativistic mass is a concept in physics that takes into account the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light. This increase is due to the object's kinetic energy and is described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

2) What is the formula for calculating relativistic mass of a rotating object?

The formula for calculating relativistic mass is m = m₀/√(1-v²/c²), where m₀ is the object's rest mass, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

3) How does the rotation of an object affect its relativistic mass?

The rotation of an object does not directly affect its relativistic mass. However, if the rotation causes the object's speed to approach the speed of light, then its relativistic mass will increase accordingly.

4) How does the relativistic mass of a rotating object compare to its rest mass?

The relativistic mass of a rotating object will always be greater than its rest mass, as long as the object is moving at a non-zero speed. The increase in mass is directly proportional to the object's speed.

5) Can an object's relativistic mass exceed its rest mass?

Yes, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its relativistic mass will approach infinity. However, this does not mean that the object's rest mass has changed, only that its relativistic mass has increased due to its high speed.