Calculating Relative Velocity on a Moving Ship: Magnitude and Direction

The pythagorean theorem will tell you the length of the hypotenuse. Then use trigonometry to find the angle.
Clari
A man walks with a velocity of 2m/s due North on a ship, which moves due East at 3m/s. Find the relative velocity of the man to the Earth, in magnitude and direction.

I do it this way:
rel. vel. of man to ship = Vm -Vs
Vm = rel. vel. of man to ship + Vs

But the answer is 3.6 m/s in direction N56(degrees)E, so I have no idea how it gets that...Help me please...Thanks!

P.S. Vm is relative velocity of man to earth

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\vec{v_m}=[/tex] velocity of the man relative to earth
[tex]\vec{v_s}[/tex] =velocity of the ship relative to Earth = 3i
[tex]\vec{v_{mc}}= velocity\ of\ the\ man\ relative\ to\ the\ ship=
\vec{v_m}-\vec{v_s}= 2j[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v_m}=2j + 3i[/tex]. The rest will be left to you. j is the unit vector points to north. i is the unit vector points to east.

Hello Leong!
your help is much appreciated~ ^v^ But I don't understand why the rel. vel. of man to ship is 2j.

The North South vector is the y-axis is the j axis.

The East west vector is the x-axis is the i axis.

So, if the ship is traveling east then its velocity vector is 3i

If the man is traveling north then his velocity vector is 2j

adding the two vectors together yields [itex]\vec{v}=3i+2j[/itex]

But you teacher/texbook isprobably looking for a so-called "resultant" velocity and direction. THink of faust's answer as "3 horizontal and 2 vertical" ( know it's actually east and north, but...)

draw a horizontal line 3 cm long. Now starting at the end of that line (the right side) draw a vertical line up two cm. Draw a third line from the start of the first line to the end of the second line, and measure it. You'll notice it is 3.6 cm.

Using math, you can see that it is the hypotenuse of the triangle you just drew. Use the pythagorean theorem to get the mathematical answer. Use trigonometry to find the angle.

The relative velocity of man to ship is 2j because the man is walking on the ship which is as well moving. if you are on the ship, you will see the man walking north; that is the velocity of the man relative to you or the ship is 2j. if you are outside the ship or we can say on the earth, then you will see the man walking with the velocity given by the answer.

Hello Chi Meson!
I would like to know when I should draw the diagram with all the vectors starting from one point and when to draw by the method as you described...I am confused now..When my teacher talk about change of velocity, she said I should draw in the former method.

Clari said:
I would like to know when I should draw the diagram with all the vectors starting from one point and when to draw by the method as you described.
If you try both methods, you'll see that the result is the same. Chi meson's triangle will look like a mirror reflection of yours, but that's not relevant if all you're looking for is the length of the hypothenuse.

The difference between the two methods is that the one Chi meson suggested will work even when the two vectors aren't perpendicular to each other.

Last edited:
The method I described is commonly called the "tail to tip" method. No matter how individula vectors are "given" to you, you can pick them up and put them down wherever you want; as long as they are the same length, and pointing in the same orientation, they are the same vector.

The tail to tip method is useful to get a quick idea of what your matematical answer should be (especially if there are more than two vectors to add together). The rule is simple, put the tail of the next vector at the tip of the previous vector until all the vectors are strung together. THe resultant will be the vector drawn from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector.

But when you simply have two vectors that are perpendicular, go straight to the math, because the resultant will always be the hypotenuse of a right triangle where the original vectiors are the two sides.

Related to Calculating Relative Velocity on a Moving Ship: Magnitude and Direction

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is a measure of the velocity of an object relative to another object or reference point. It takes into account the motion of both objects and calculates the difference in their velocities.

How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. The resulting value is the relative velocity between the two objects.

What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

The main difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity is that relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object relative to a fixed reference point. Relative velocity is also dependent on the point of observation, while absolute velocity remains constant regardless of the observer's position.

Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. A negative relative velocity indicates that the two objects are moving in opposite directions.

How is relative velocity used in everyday life?

Relative velocity is used in various aspects of everyday life, such as navigation, transportation, and sports. For example, the concept of relative velocity is used in calculating the speed and direction of objects in motion, such as airplanes, cars, and projectiles. In sports, relative velocity is important in understanding the movement of players and objects on a field or court. It is also used in navigation to determine the position of objects and their direction of movement relative to each other.