Calculating Relative Velocity of Child to Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocity and how it applies to a child running on a conveyor belt. The equation used to find the relative velocity is v_{12}=v_{10}-v_{20}, where v_{12} is the relative velocity of the child to the conveyor, v_{10} is the velocity of the child relative to earth, and v_{20} is the velocity of the conveyor relative to earth. The conversation also touches on the confusion surrounding the direction of the relative velocity and provides an example using two people running towards each other.
caljuice
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dat

So a child is running with the conveyer belt. Relative to the conveyer belt he is running 2.5 m/s.

Homework Equations

To find the relative velocity of the child to earth, I'm guesing is:

Velocity of child relative to earth= (v of belt to earth)+(v of child to belt)

If V child-belt = 2.5, that means he is running 2.5 m/s while on the belt right?

So if the child is running against the belt at the same speed, is the equation the same? Is the V child-belt still 2.5 but in the opposite direction?

If i plug in random numbers in the equation for running against the belt, it seems to work still. Say belt is moving 1m/s --> -1.5 m/s= 1 m/s - 2.5 m/s, seems right, he runs -1.5 relative to stationary observers.

But I would assume, since the belt is coming towards the child, the relative velocity of the child to the belt would be greater than 2.5 m/s? and would equal |Velocity of conveyer belt to earth| + |Velocity of child running (not sure what reference frame now)|?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please post some data about the conveyor belt?

Just remember the definition:

[tex]v_{12}=v_{10}-v_{20}[/tex]

Which, for your case would translate into:

[tex]v[/tex]child relative to conveyor [tex]=v[/tex]child relative to earth[tex]-v[/tex]conveyor relative to earth

The other information was the length of the conveyor and i was suppose to find the acceleration. But I was just confused about the relative velocity.

It seems like as long as I use that equation, it works out. Though I still don't quite understand. If you two people running towards each other should it not be their velocities added for their relative velocity to one another?

Related to Calculating Relative Velocity of Child to Earth

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object in relation to another object. It is the difference in velocity between the two objects.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to know the velocities of both objects and the angle between their paths. You can use the formula Vr = V1 - V2, where Vr is the relative velocity, V1 is the velocity of the first object, and V2 is the velocity of the second object.

3. Why is it important to calculate relative velocity of a child to Earth?

Calculating the relative velocity of a child to Earth can help us understand the motion and speed of the child in relation to the Earth. It can also be useful in predicting collisions or determining the effects of gravity on the child's movement.

4. What are the units for relative velocity?

The units for relative velocity can vary depending on the units used for the velocities of the two objects. However, they are typically expressed in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions. A negative relative velocity indicates that the objects are moving away from each other.