Calculating refractive index using lens

In summary, the refractive index of liquids such as water can be calculated using a converging lens and mirror with the standard method. However, this method cannot be applied to liquids with a higher refractive index than the lens, such as mercury, as the rays would diverge and no real image would be formed. There are multiple methods for measuring refractive index for both higher and lower R.I. liquids than glass. A reference for these methods can be found at the link provided.
m~ray
we can calculate the refractive index of liquids like water using a converging lens and mirror by the standard method . r.index of water is less than that of lens(glass) . now taking mercury, whose r.index is > glass, can we do the same experiment and find its r.index ?
i believe the answer is no.. coz there the rays get diverged and hence no real image is formed. but i don't think it will always diverge ?? any in sight ?

Science news on Phys.org
Refractive index of mercury? It seems to be too opaque to have well defined refractive index (at least if you take r.i. in its classical meaning).

oh ya.. mercury is a bad example.. let's say any other transparent liquid having r index > that of glass.

So now I have no idea what do you mean by "standard method".
There are lots of methods to measure R.I. which may be used for liquids of both higher and lower R.I. than the one of glass.

Related to Calculating refractive index using lens

What is the formula for calculating refractive index using lens?

The formula for calculating refractive index using lens is n = c/v, where n is the refractive index, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in the material.

What is the significance of calculating refractive index using lens?

Calculating refractive index using lens allows us to determine the optical properties of a material, such as how it bends light and the angle of refraction. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of light in different mediums and is used in various applications, such as designing lenses and optical instruments.

How is the refractive index of a lens measured?

The refractive index of a lens can be measured using a refractometer, which measures the angle of refraction when light passes through the lens. The refractive index can also be calculated using the dimensions and curvature of the lens, along with the speed of light in the medium.

What factors affect the refractive index of a lens?

The refractive index of a lens is affected by the material it is made of, the wavelength of light passing through it, and the temperature of the lens. Additionally, the curvature of the lens and the medium surrounding it can also impact the refractive index.

Can the refractive index of a lens be greater than 1?

Yes, the refractive index of a lens can be greater than 1. This is common in materials such as glass and water, which have a refractive index of around 1.5. A higher refractive index means that light will travel slower through the material, causing it to bend more. Materials with a refractive index greater than 1 are known as optically dense.