Calculating Refraction Through a Prism

In summary, when a beam of light falls perpendicularly on the surface of a triangular prism with a refractive index of 1.5, it goes undeviating through the surface. The angle of incidence on the other face is equal to the angle of the prism. The angle of incidence and refraction are both zero, and the direction of the ray remains unchanged when it enters the prism. To find the angle it strikes the other side of the prism, use Snell's law and measure the angle with respect to the normal of the interface.
FluffynpinK

Homework Statement

A beam of light falls perpendicularly on the surface of a triangular prism.
Draw the beams path through the prism. Show any necessary calculations.
n = 1.5

Homework Equations

n1sin(a) = n2sin(b)

maybe, not sure tbh.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did to find the angles:

1.5 = sin 90°/sin(b)

1.5 sin(b) = sin 90°

sin (b) = sin 90° /1.5

sin (b) = sin-1 0.66

b = 41.8°

I have no idea whether I'm right or not, I asked my teacher how to do it but she did it in a hurry so I didnt understand what she was talking about.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the light falls perpendicular to the surface of an equilateral prism, it goes undeviating through the surface.The angle of incident on the other face is equal to the angle of prism.

FluffynpinK said:

Homework Equations

n1sin(a) = n2sin(b)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did to find the angles:

1.5 = sin 90°/sin(b)

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction both are measured with respect to the normal of the interface. If the ray falls perpendicularly to the surface, the angle of incidence is zero. According to Snell's law (your first equation) the angle of refraction is the same zero. The direction of the ray stays unchanged when it enters the prism. Find the angle it strikes the other side of the prism.

ehild

Related to Calculating Refraction Through a Prism

What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different substances, such as air, water, or glass. This is caused by a change in the speed of light as it moves from one medium to another.

How does a prism work?

A prism is a triangular-shaped piece of glass or plastic that is able to refract light. When light enters the prism, it is bent at different angles depending on the wavelength of the light. This causes the light to separate into its different colors, creating a rainbow effect.

What is the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction is the angle at which light bends as it passes through a medium. It is measured between the incident ray (the incoming light) and the refracted ray (the bent light).

Why do objects appear distorted when viewed through a prism?

When light passes through a prism, it is refracted at different angles depending on the wavelength of the light. This causes the different colors to separate, making objects appear distorted or rainbow-like.

How does refraction impact our daily lives?

Refraction plays a significant role in our daily lives. It is the reason why objects appear bent when placed in water, why glasses and contact lenses can correct our vision, and why rainbows form after a rainstorm. It is also used in various technologies, such as microscopes, cameras, and telescopes.