Calculating Reduced Mass of NO+ Molecular Ion: Missing Electron Considerations

In summary, the reduced mass of a molecular ion, NO^{+} (singly-ionized nitrogen monoxide molecule) in atomic units can be calculated by taking into account the missing electron. This can be done by either assuming the electron was taken from the N atom or the O atom, or by finding the reduced mass of NO and subtracting one. However, if the mass of N is 25525 ± 1 a.u., the electron can be ignored and the result will still be accurate.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the reduced mass of a molecular ion, NO^{+} (singly-ionized nitrogen monoxide molecule) in atomic units. My question is, how would I take into account the missing electron in this calculation.

Homework Equations

mass of N in a.u. is about 25525 a.u.

mass of O in a.u. is about 29157 a.u.

mass of electron in a.u. is 1 a.u.

The Attempt at a Solution

--Would it be reasonable to arbitrarily say that the electron was taken from the O atom and thus the reduced mass is given by the following:

(29156)(25525)/(29156+25525) = 13610.0 a.u.

--If I say that the electron was taken from N, I would get the following:

(29157)(25524)/(29157+25524) = 13609.9 a.u. --- not much different

Or I could find the reduced mass of NO and then subtract one:

(29157)(25525)/(29157+25525) - 1 = 13609.2 a.u. --- again not too different

Any ideas on which of these is the most correct way to do the calculation, or if there is another better way to approach it? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Or you could ignore the electron altogether and get 13610.2 for the reduced mass. So how accurate do you want your answer to be? When you say "the mass of N is about 25525 a.u.", what does the word "about" mean? If the mass of N is 25525 ± 1 a.u. then you can safely ignore the mass of the electron and stop agonizing about what to do with it.

May I just ask where you get your calculations from? I don't see the logic in them and calculating the mass of neutral NO doesn't seem to compute from it... (plus, your reduced mass is less than the mass of the individual atoms)

Jack the Stri said:
May I just ask where you get your calculations from? I don't see the logic in them and calculating the mass of neutral NO doesn't seem to compute from it... (plus, your reduced mass is less than the mass of the individual atoms)

Does this surprise you? Reduced mass is given by

[tex]\mu=\frac{m_1*m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

When the masses are equal, and they are nearly equal here, the reduced mass is half of either mass. I believe that's why it is called "reduced".

Whoops, my bad :-)

Related to Calculating Reduced Mass of NO+ Molecular Ion: Missing Electron Considerations

What is the significance of calculating the reduced mass of NO+ molecular ion?

The reduced mass of a molecular ion is an important factor in understanding its physical properties and behavior. It is a measure of the effective mass of the ion, taking into account the masses of all the constituent atoms and their relative positions. This information is crucial in studying the dynamics and interactions of the ion with other particles or fields.

How is the reduced mass of NO+ molecular ion calculated?

The reduced mass of a molecular ion can be calculated using the formula μ = m1m2/(m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two constituent atoms. In the case of NO+ ion, the two atoms are nitrogen (N) and oxygen (O). Therefore, the reduced mass can be calculated using the masses of these atoms and their relative positions within the ion.

What considerations are there in calculating the reduced mass of NO+ molecular ion?

When calculating the reduced mass of a molecular ion, it is important to consider the missing electron(s). In the case of NO+ ion, there is one missing electron, which can impact the overall mass of the ion. The position of the missing electron also needs to be taken into account, as it can affect the relative positions of the constituent atoms.

What is the role of the missing electron in calculating the reduced mass of NO+ molecular ion?

The missing electron in the NO+ ion plays a crucial role in determining the reduced mass. It is important to note that the missing electron does not contribute to the overall mass of the ion. However, its position and interactions with the constituent atoms can influence the effective mass and thus the reduced mass of the ion.

How does calculating the reduced mass of NO+ molecular ion help in understanding its properties?

Calculating the reduced mass of a molecular ion, such as NO+, can provide valuable information about its properties and behavior. This includes its response to external forces, its vibrational and rotational modes, and its interactions with other particles or fields. Knowing the reduced mass can also aid in predicting the ion's behavior in various environments and reactions.