Calculating reciprocal base vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of reciprocal base vectors using a set of basis column vectors and the matrix of these vectors. It is confirmed that the reciprocal base vectors can be calculated by taking the inverse of the matrix. The conversation also mentions the use of the terms "roof" and "cellar" instead of "covariant" and "contravariant" and confirms that these terms can be applied to both the vectors and their components. A recommended resource for further understanding and examples of calculating reciprocal bases is also mentioned.
epr1990
I have just started diving into tensor analysis. To be honest, I didn't know whether to post this question in the vector analysis forum or this one. I have looked at a few books on the subject and scoured the internet, but I can't seem to find anything that answers this question. Or, maybe I just didn't understand what was being said.

Say you are given a set of basis column vectors in n dimensions [itex]\{\vec{g}_{i}\}[/itex], for i=1,...,n and let [itex]G=[\vec{g}_{i}][/itex] be the matrix of column vectors. Can the reciprocal base vectors be calculated simply by taking the inverse of this matrix where [itex]G^{-1}=[\vec{g}^{i}][/itex] is the matrix of the row vectors representing the reciprocal basis [itex]\{\vec{g}^{i}\}[/itex]? This would make since because matrix multiplication would yield the identity matrix, and, when written in this form, matrix multiplication becomes the inner product of the vectors that construct the respective matrices as so:

[itex]G^{-1}G=[\vec{g}^{i}][\vec{g}_{j}]=[\vec{g}^{i}\cdot\vec{g}_{j}]=[\delta^{i}_{j}]=I[/itex]

Since the inner product of two roof or two cellar base vectors isn't necessarily the kronecker delta, this is the only way that makes sense to me. So, in other words, the rows of the inverse of G would be the reciprocal basis. Is this correct?

Also, I have gotten through most of Simmonds book A Brief Introduction to Tensor Analysis. For much of the book, he uses the less formal terms roof and cellar instead of Covariant and Contravariant. Are these latter terms only applied to the components of a vector? Or can they be applied to the vectors themselves?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try & get your hands on the last two chapters of Eutiquio C. Young's book 'Vector and Tensor Analysis', you'll see him work some baby examples of calculating reciprocal bases first from the definitions, then using cross product simplifications when in R^3, then again using matrices, & developing the basic theory behind these approaches, so you get multiple angles & nice examples to codify what you're doing, & I can't find anything better than this. You're right about the reciprocal basis being given by the inverse matrix, & the book will give a nice simple argument why this is the case similar to yours. Also you can refer to either the vector or the components by those terms & not commit any egregious sin, I think I've come across some sources arguing that referring to one or the other by these terms makes no sense, but so many books refer to both by these terms that it's basically an accepted abuse of notation if one is logically incoherent.

Thanks.

I actually got through and understood everything in Simmonds without knowing that. It was just a problem I came across when going back and doing the exercises. I guess it wasn't explicitly stated, but it was supposed to be inferred at some point. I failed to realize that I actually had been doing that all along just in component form.

Related to Calculating reciprocal base vectors

1. What is the purpose of calculating reciprocal base vectors?

The purpose of calculating reciprocal base vectors is to understand the relationship between the basis vectors of a vector space and its dual space. This calculation is essential in many areas of science and mathematics, such as crystallography and quantum mechanics.

2. How are reciprocal base vectors related to the original basis vectors?

Reciprocal base vectors are related to the original basis vectors through the dot product. The dot product of a basis vector and its reciprocal base vector is equal to 1 if they are the same vector, and 0 if they are different vectors. This relationship is also known as the Kronecker delta.

3. What is the formula for calculating reciprocal base vectors?

The formula for calculating reciprocal base vectors depends on the dimension of the vector space. In a three-dimensional vector space, the reciprocal base vectors can be calculated by taking the cross product of two of the original basis vectors and then dividing by the dot product of the third basis vector with the cross product result.

4. Can reciprocal base vectors be negative?

Yes, reciprocal base vectors can be negative. The sign of the reciprocal base vector depends on the orientation of the original basis vectors. If the basis vectors are oriented in the same direction, the reciprocal base vectors will have the same sign. If the basis vectors are oriented in opposite directions, the reciprocal base vectors will have opposite signs.

5. How do reciprocal base vectors relate to Fourier transforms?

Reciprocal base vectors play a crucial role in Fourier transforms. In one-dimensional Fourier transforms, the reciprocal base vector is simply the inverse of the original basis vector. In higher-dimensional Fourier transforms, the reciprocal base vectors are used to convert between the spatial domain and the frequency domain.