Calculating Railgun Force: iBdx

In summary, the conversation is discussing the force on a projectile in a railgun. The setup involves using the scalar magnitudes of F and B, integrating across the length of the projectile, and ultimately getting a result of ln(1+2w/r) for the force. There is some disagreement about the limits of the integral, with one person suggesting it should start at R/2 and go to R/2+w for more accuracy in a pulsed environment.
MaximumTaco
Hi all.

I've been trying to nut out an expression for the force on the projectile

( i hope you have an understanding of the basic structure of a railgun, i don't want to draw it)

Anyway, i is known, w is the rail seperation, and R is the circular rail's radius.

F(x) = i B(x) dx
(the scalar magnitudes of F and B, we know what the directions are of course)

So we need to integrate across the whole length of the projectile, w
[tex]
|\vec{B}(x)| = \frac{i \mu_0}{2 \pi}(\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{-x+R+w})
[/tex]

at any point distance x along the gap

Thus,

[tex]

|\vec{F}| = \frac{i^2 \mu_0}{2 \pi} \int_{w}^{0} \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{-x+R+w} dx

[/tex]

And ultimately get...

[tex]

\frac{i^2 \mu_0}{\pi} log(\frac{r}{r+w})
[/tex]

Does this look right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first part of your setup looks reasonable. You are approximating the current-carrying wire as two infinite "line currents" at the center of the wire. Then you are cutting the result in half, assuming that the line currents are really "half a line".

This is good for manetostatic applications. For the pulsed environment of the railgun it may not be accurate, but I can't come up with a better approximation.

I have a bit of a problem with the limits in

[tex]
|\vec{F}| = \frac{i^2 \mu_0}{2 \pi} \int_{w}^{0} \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{-x+R+w} dx
[/tex]

though, it seems to me that the intergal should start at R/2 and go to R/2+w

This will change ln(r/(r+w)) to ln(r/(r+2w))

Also, if you want the force to be positive, it should be ln(1+2w/r).

Related to Calculating Railgun Force: iBdx

1. How is railgun force calculated?

Railgun force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the projectile (m) by its acceleration (a), using the formula F = ma. In the case of "Calculating Railgun Force: iBdx", the mass of the projectile is given as 1 kg, and the acceleration is calculated based on the power and efficiency of the railgun system.

2. What is the unit of measurement for railgun force?

The unit of measurement for railgun force is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. This is a unit of force commonly used in physics and engineering.

3. What factors affect the calculation of railgun force?

The calculation of railgun force is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the projectile, the efficiency of the railgun system, and external factors such as air resistance.

4. How does the efficiency of the railgun system impact the calculation of railgun force?

The efficiency of the railgun system plays a significant role in the calculation of railgun force, as it determines how much of the energy from the power source is transferred to the projectile. A more efficient system will result in a higher acceleration and therefore, a greater railgun force.

5. Can railgun force be calculated for any type of projectile?

Yes, the calculation of railgun force can be applied to any type of projectile, as long as its mass and acceleration can be determined. However, the specific values used in the calculation may vary depending on the projectile's size, shape, and composition.