Calculating PV Panel Area and Installed Power for 3000 kWh/year Production

• Thread starter readaynrand
  • Start date
In summary, calculating the PV panel area and installed power for 3000 kWh/year production involves determining the average daily sunlight hours for the location, dividing the annual production by the daily sunlight hours, and then dividing by the average panel efficiency to determine the required panel area. The installed power can be calculated by multiplying the panel area by the panel's rated power output. Additionally, factors such as shading, panel tilt, and system losses should be considered when determining the necessary panel area and installed power.
readaynrand

Homework Statement

a) What is the PV panel area needed to produce 3000 kWh/year when the global irradiance is 850 kWh/m^2 year, and the conversion efficiency is 13%?

b) What is the installed power in kWp that the PV panels must provide, assuming a conversion of 850 kWh/kWp year (kilowatt hours per year per kilowatt peak rating)?

2. The attempt at a solution

a) Easy peasy, A=27,15 m^2

b) No idea what I'm asked to do here... What does the p stand for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please describe the process you learned in class for addressing the problem.

Related to Calculating PV Panel Area and Installed Power for 3000 kWh/year Production

What is the formula for calculating PV panel area?

The formula for calculating PV panel area is: Area (m²) = Energy demand (kWh/year) / (Average annual solar radiation (kWh/m²/year) x System efficiency x Performance ratio)

How do I determine the average annual solar radiation?

The average annual solar radiation can be determined by using resources such as the National Renewable Energy Laboratory’s (NREL) Solar Resource Data and Tools. This tool provides solar radiation data for different locations around the world.

What is system efficiency and how do I calculate it?

System efficiency is the ratio of the actual energy output of the PV system to the theoretical maximum output. It takes into account factors such as shading, temperature, and wiring losses. System efficiency can be calculated by dividing the actual output of the PV system (in kWh) by the total installed capacity (in kW).

What is the performance ratio and how is it determined?

The performance ratio is the ratio of the actual energy output of the PV system to the expected output under ideal conditions. It takes into account factors such as weather and system degradation. The performance ratio can be determined by dividing the actual output of the PV system (in kWh) by the expected output (in kWh) under ideal conditions.

Can I use this calculation to determine the exact PV panel area and installed power for my specific location?

This calculation provides an estimate for the PV panel area and installed power needed to produce 3000 kWh/year. The actual area and installed power needed may vary depending on specific factors such as location, shading, and system efficiency. It is recommended to consult with a professional for a more accurate calculation for your specific location.