Calculating Proton & Electron Kinetic Energies from Neutron Decay

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of kinetic energy for a proton and electron in different scenarios involving a decaying neutron in a laboratory. The first scenario involves a massless neutrino with no kinetic energy. The second scenario involves a massless electronic antineutrino with 300keV of kinetic energy traveling in the opposite direction of the proton and electron. The third scenario involves the same neutrino with the same kinetic energy, but traveling perpendicular to the proton and electron. To solve these problems, one must use relativistic mechanics equations and consider both the total energy and momentum conservation.
m00nd0g68
A neutron at rest in the laboratory spontaneously decays into a proton, an electron, and a small essentially massless particle called a neutrino. Calculate the kinetic energy of the proton and the electron in each of the following cases:
a) the neutrino has no kinetic energy
b) the neutrino has 300keV of kinetic energy and is traveling opposite the proton and the same direction as the electron
c) the neutrino has 300keV of kinetic energy and is traveling perpendicular to the proton and electron, which are traveling opposite of each other.

I have solved part a. But part b I am having a problem with. I understand that the neutrino’s E = K + E0 = K + mc2 = K = 300keV (where mc2 = 0 because it has no mass) but I don’t know how to use this with the energies of the other two. Do I simply subtract the energies of the proton, electron and the given K of the neutrino to get an amount that is a new total energy? On part c how do I handle the 300keV of the neutrino that is traveling perpendicularly to the proton and electron?

Any hints would be appreciated…

moondog

Physics news on Phys.org
Though it's obviouly a relativistic problem,maybe some of the ole tricks from Newtonian mechanics would help.Do a vector (momenta) diagram and pay attention when u write the conservation of total momentum,ie.write it in vector form & pay attention with the projections.
This valid for point "b" and especially for point "c".

For the record:it's a (massless) electronic ANTIneutrino.

Daniel.

For relativistic mechanics you have to use
[tex]
E^2 = p^2 +m^2
[/tex]
In natrual units, instead of the old E1 + E2 ..En = Etot, you get:
[tex]
E_{after}=E_{before}][/tex]
[tex]
\sqrt{p_{after 1}^2 + m_{after 1}^2} +\sqrt{p_{after 2}^2 + m_{after 2}^2}... = \sqrt{p_1^2 + m_1^2} +\sqrt{p_2^2 + m_2^2}...
[/tex]
Also you still have momentum conservation,
[tex]
P_{after \ 1} + P_{after \ 2} ... = P_1 + p_2 ...
[/tex]

Hope this helps. There is the four vector notation for this math that simplifies some of this maybe someone else can post it.

My results so far...

For part a I calculated a kinetic energy of 0.782MeV for the electron and 0.752keV for the proton.
For part b I calculated a kinetic energy of 0.483MeV for the proton and 0.387keV for the proton.
Lastly, for part c I calculated 1.08MeV for the electron and 1.21keV for the proton.
Does that make sense?

moondog

Are you sure with the numbers,i mean,taking into account the mass ratio,the electron would be 1 million times faster than the proton... :eek:

Daniel.

Perpindicular neutrino travel

The main part I am not understanding is how to deal with the perpendicular travel of the neutrino. Since E=K+E0=K+mc^2 and the neutrino is massless this means that E=K=.300MeV. How do I deal with this in the perpendicular direction?

moondog

There is total (kinetic + rest) energy, a scalar quantity.

An then there is momentum, a vector quantity, with components in 2 dimensions, e.g. x-direction and y-direction. The neutrino has momentum, in the direction of travel, which must equal the momentum components of the electron and proton, which are in the opposite direction.

See also - Neutrino Nuclear Physics (1.04 Mb, 50 pages, Japanese language support not necessary - download with save target as).

Related to Calculating Proton & Electron Kinetic Energies from Neutron Decay

1. What is neutron decay?

Neutron decay is the process in which a neutron spontaneously transforms into a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino. This process occurs in unstable atomic nuclei, in order to achieve a more stable ratio of protons to neutrons.

2. What is the formula for calculating proton kinetic energy from neutron decay?

The formula for calculating proton kinetic energy from neutron decay is KE = (Mn - Mp)c^2, where KE is the kinetic energy of the proton, Mn is the mass of the neutron, and Mp is the mass of the proton. C is the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. How do you calculate electron kinetic energy from neutron decay?

The formula for calculating electron kinetic energy from neutron decay is KE = (Mn - Me)c^2, where KE is the kinetic energy of the electron, Mn is the mass of the neutron, and Me is the mass of the electron. C is the speed of light in a vacuum.

4. Can the kinetic energies of protons and electrons be calculated separately?

Yes, the kinetic energies of protons and electrons from neutron decay can be calculated separately using the formulas mentioned above. However, the total energy must also be conserved, so the sum of the proton and electron kinetic energies must equal the energy released from the neutron decay.

5. How is the calculated kinetic energy of protons and electrons used in scientific research?

The calculated kinetic energies of protons and electrons from neutron decay are important in understanding the nuclear reactions and energy release that occur in unstable atomic nuclei. This information is used in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and nuclear engineering.