Calculating Proportion of Radioactive DNA After Replication

In summary, the conversation discusses the replication of DNA and the proportion of radioactive strands in the final mass. The correct answer is 1/8th, as each division doubles the total amount of DNA and the radioactive strands remain the same. The total number of strands after 3 replications is 16, with 2 being radioactive.
Cryptic89
Hi,

I was doing this question & I just want to make sure I've got it correct:

A quantity of DNA was labelled with radioactive nitrogen. It was then allowed to replicate three times using non radioactive to synthesise the new DNA strands. What proportion of the final mass of DNA would you expect to be radioactive?

OK so is the answer 2/8th?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is wrong. It is not 2/8.

Hmm...what do you think is the answer then?

For each division your total amount of DNA doubles and your radioactive DNA stay the same. Keep in mind that both radioactive and non-radioactive strands are both replicated.

You start with 2 strands and both strands are radioactive. After the first division you get 4 strands, 2 non-radioactive and 2 radioactive.

If you do the math, you will get the answer.

I did the math! At then end of the third replication sequence, you get 8 DNA molecules...of which two strands are radioactive. So naturally you'd expect 2/8th (1/4th) of the final mass of the DNA to be radioactive.

You get 16 strands and two are radioactive. 2/16 or 1/8 is the final mass.

Start: 2 strands
After 1 rep: 4 strands
After 2 rep: 8 strands
After 3 rep: 16 strands

OMG...you're right! I'm sorry I did some mistake in counting! *embarrassed*
Thank you for all the help!

Related to Calculating Proportion of Radioactive DNA After Replication

What is the purpose of calculating the proportion of radioactive DNA after replication?

The purpose of calculating the proportion of radioactive DNA after replication is to determine the percentage of newly synthesized DNA that incorporates radioactive nucleotides, which can provide information on the rate of DNA replication and the fidelity of the replication process.

How is the proportion of radioactive DNA after replication calculated?

The proportion of radioactive DNA after replication is calculated by dividing the amount of radioactive DNA by the total amount of DNA present in the sample, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

What is the significance of a high proportion of radioactive DNA after replication?

A high proportion of radioactive DNA after replication can indicate a faster rate of DNA replication or a high fidelity of the replication process, meaning that there are fewer errors or mutations in the newly synthesized DNA.

What factors can affect the proportion of radioactive DNA after replication?

The proportion of radioactive DNA after replication can be affected by various factors such as the concentration of radioactive nucleotides used, the length of time of the replication process, and any errors or mutations that may have occurred during replication.

How can the accuracy of the proportion of radioactive DNA after replication be ensured?

To ensure accuracy, multiple replicates of the experiment should be performed, and the results should be compared and averaged. Additionally, controls should be included to account for any potential sources of error, and the experiment should be conducted using proper techniques and equipment.