Calculating Projector Focal Length with SXGA & Screen Dimensions

In summary, the focal length range of a projector with square pixel SXGA is from 4 to 12 m from the screen. In order to calculate the focal length, the magnification must be taken into account, which requires knowledge of the screen size. The equations 1/f = 1/v + 1/u and M = v/u can be used to solve the problem, assuming a value for the horizontal dimension of the display or using the display resolution to calculate it. The difference between the focal length values at 4 and 12 m can determine the range.
questions_uk
Hi. It asks to calculate the focal length range of a projector of square pixel SXGA is from 4 to 12 m from the screen. It gives the diagonal size of the display (in mm) as well as the horizontal size (in m). The thing that am not sure about is how the focal length would be calculated with the screen dimensions and whether info about square pixels and SXGA would be required. I assume the range means to calculate the focal length at 12 then at 4 and take these values away from one another?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am guessing you'll need to take the magnification into account, which means you would need to know the size of the screen as well.

The equation for magnification, and other stuff about lenses, is here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=148

The question sounds a little weird, since the focal length of a lens is not adjustable.

Redbelly98 said:
I am guessing you'll need to take the magnification into account, which means you would need to know the size of the screen as well.

The equation for magnification, and other stuff about lenses, is here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=148

The question sounds a little weird, since the focal length of a lens is not adjustable.

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly enough I also wondered whether the magnification would be taken into the account, as magnification is included in the notes. What was a bit weird was how it gave the diagonal dimension of the display and the horizontal dimension of the screen?

questions_uk said:
What was a bit weird was how it gave the diagonal dimension of the display and the horizontal dimension of the screen?

Okay. Looks like you'll have to figure out the horizontal dimension of the display, in order to get the magnification.

Redbelly98 said:
Okay. Looks like you'll have to figure out the horizontal dimension of the display, in order to get the magnification.

That's what I thought, and then compare the display with the screen. However, the magnification depends on U and V which I think are the lengths from the display to the lens and from the lens to the screen.

questions_uk said:
That's what I thought, and then compare the display with the screen. However, the magnification depends on U and V which I think are the lengths from the display to the lens and from the lens to the screen.

Yes, that's right.

It would be useful, if you haven't done so already, to list the equations that are relevant to solving this problem.

Redbelly98 said:
Yes, that's right.

It would be useful, if you haven't done so already, to list the equations that are relevant to solving this problem.

Hi. Some of the equations I've got include:

1 / f = 1 / v + 1 / u

And M = v / u

Also am not sure if this is related to it but

Numerical Aperture / F number

N = F / D

Thanks!

Okay, good. I'm thinking the numerical aperture and lens diameter won't come into play here, at least I haven't seen anything yet that would relate to them. (Of course, I also haven't seen the actual problem statement either.)

The magnification equation and "1/f = ..." are important here.

Something that is pretty much assumed, but maybe not obvious to students, is that M is also, by definition,

M = (width of screen) / (width of display)​

See if you can use that, plus the "1/f = ..." and magnification equations you listed, to solve the problem.

Redbelly98 said:
Okay, good. I'm thinking the numerical aperture and lens diameter won't come into play here, at least I haven't seen anything yet that would relate to them. (Of course, I also haven't seen the actual problem statement either.)

The magnification equation and "1/f = ..." are important here.

Something that is pretty much assumed, but maybe not obvious to students, is that M is also, by definition,

M = (width of screen) / (width of display)​

See if you can use that, plus the "1/f = ..." and magnification equations you listed, to solve the problem.

Thanks for your help! I basically used the other magnification rule you gave and assumed a value for the horizontal dimension.

This could then be be used with M = v / u thus calculating u as v and M are already known and obtaining a v value. With the u and f values I used 1 / f = 1 / u + 1 / v to obtain the focal length at 4 and 12 m. Then obtained the difference between these two values to obtain the range.

But yeah I did assume a value for the horizontal component. It gives the diagonal dimensions.

Thanks!

Sounds like you pretty much have it then.

If you knew the width/height ratio for the display, you could figure out the horizontal dimension rather than just "assume a value".

Thanks for your help. I used the resolution of the dosplay to work out the horizontal dimensions of it.

Related to Calculating Projector Focal Length with SXGA & Screen Dimensions

1. How do you calculate the projector focal length for an SXGA resolution?

The formula for calculating the projector focal length for an SXGA resolution is:
Focal Length = Screen Width x Throw Ratio / Resolution Width.
The throw ratio can usually be found in the projector's specifications, and the resolution width for SXGA is 1280 pixels.

2. What are the screen dimensions needed for calculating the projector focal length?

The screen dimensions needed for calculating the projector focal length are the width and height of the screen. These measurements should be in the same unit as the throw ratio and resolution width.

3. Can you use the same formula for calculating the projector focal length for different resolutions?

No, the formula for calculating the projector focal length may vary for different resolutions. It is important to check the specifications of the projector and use the correct formula for the specific resolution.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement for the projector focal length?

The unit of measurement for the projector focal length is typically in millimeters (mm), but it can vary depending on the manufacturer. It is important to check the unit of measurement used in the specifications and use the same unit in the calculation.

5. Can the projector focal length be adjusted after installation?

Yes, most projectors have a manual or motorized zoom function that allows for adjustment of the focal length after installation. However, it is important to note that changing the focal length can affect the image quality and may require recalculating the distance between the projector and screen.