Conservation of momentum on merry-go-round

In summary, the playground merry-go-round has a disk-shaped platform with a mass of 200kg and a radius of 1.8 m. A 36-kg child rides at the center while a playmate sets it turning at 0.25 rev/sec. If the child walks to the outer edge, the disk will be turning at 0.5π rad/sec. The moment of inertia is calculated using the formula I=1/2mr^2. To find the total MOI, the child is treated as a point mass and added to the MOI of the disk.
tandoorichicken
A playground merry-go-round has a disk-shaped platform that rotates with negligible friction about a vertical axis. The disk has a mass of 200kg and a radius of 1.8 m. A 36-kg child rides at the center of the merry-g-round while a playmate sets it turning at 0.25 rev/sec. If the child then walks along a radius to the outer edge of the disk, how fast will the disk be turning.

Work:
[tex]\omega_0 = 0.5\pi [/tex] rad/sec.
[tex] I_0 = \frac{1}{2} m r^2 [/tex] (MOI for disk).
[tex] L = I_0\omega_0 = \frac{1}{2} m r^2 \omega_0 [/tex]
So, if angular momentum is conserved, [tex] L = I_f\omega_f [/tex]
My only problem is figuring out the MOI for a disk with an object spinning around the outer edge. Anyone know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by tandoorichicken
My only problem is figuring out the MOI for a disk with an object spinning around the outer edge. Anyone know?
Treat the child as a point mass. Its moment of inertia is [itex]mr^2[/itex]. The total MOI is that of the disk plus that of the child.

The moment of inertia (MOI) for a disk with an object spinning around the outer edge can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem. This states that the MOI of a body about an axis parallel to its center of mass is equal to the MOI of the body about its center of mass plus the product of its mass and the square of the distance between the two axes. In this case, the MOI for the disk with the child at the outer edge can be calculated as:

I_f = I_0 + md^2

Where:
I_f = MOI of the disk with the child at the outer edge
I_0 = MOI of the disk with the child at the center
m = mass of the child
d = distance between the center of the disk and the outer edge (equal to the radius of the disk)

Substituting the known values into the equation, we get:

I_f = \frac{1}{2} (200 kg)(1.8 m)^2 + (36 kg)(1.8 m)^2 = 388.8 kgm^2

Now, using the conservation of angular momentum equation, we can solve for the final angular velocity of the disk:

L = I_f\omega_f
\frac{1}{2} m r^2 \omega_0 = 388.8 kgm^2 \omega_f
\omega_f = \frac{1}{2} m r^2 \omega_0 \div 388.8 kgm^2
\omega_f = 0.5\pi rad/sec \div 388.8 kgm^2
\omega_f = 0.00128 rad/sec

Therefore, the disk will be turning at a final angular velocity of 0.00128 rad/sec after the child walks to the outer edge. This is a very small change compared to the initial angular velocity of 0.5π rad/sec, as the child's mass is relatively small compared to the mass of the disk. This demonstrates the conservation of angular momentum, where the total angular momentum of the system remains constant despite changes in the distribution of mass.

1. What is conservation of momentum on a merry-go-round?

Conservation of momentum on a merry-go-round refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the momentum of all objects on the merry-go-round, including the riders, must remain the same before and after any interactions or movements on the ride.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to a merry-go-round?

In a closed system, such as a merry-go-round, the total momentum before any interactions occur must be equal to the total momentum after the interactions. This means that if one rider jumps off the merry-go-round, the momentum of the remaining riders and the ride itself will increase to compensate for the loss of the rider's momentum.

3. Can the conservation of momentum be broken on a merry-go-round?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that cannot be broken. However, it may appear as though the law is being broken if external forces, such as friction or air resistance, are not taken into account. In a perfect, frictionless system, the law of conservation of momentum will always hold true.

4. How does the mass of the merry-go-round affect conservation of momentum?

The mass of the merry-go-round itself does not affect the conservation of momentum. However, the mass of the objects on the merry-go-round will affect how much their momentum contributes to the total momentum of the system. Objects with greater mass will have a greater impact on the overall momentum of the system.

5. Is conservation of momentum only applicable to merry-go-rounds?

No, conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all systems, not just merry-go-rounds. It can be observed in many situations, such as collisions between objects, rocket launches, and even in the movement of planets and galaxies. The principles of conservation of momentum are essential in understanding the behavior of many physical systems.