Calculating Probability in Magic: The Gathering with a Decreasing Deck

In summary, if you want to maximize your chance of receiving two land cards on your opening hand, you should aim to draw cards until you have at least two.
Higgs_world
Hi everyone,
I have no background in Probability and Statistics, but I do understand some Calculus, so I think I will be able to understand your answer if you so choose to answer.

The game is called Magic: The Gathering. In this game you build a deck of sixty cards or more, but sixty is the number I want to know about. In the beginning of the game you draw 7 cards. In the opening hand, it is crucial that I draw at least 2 cards of which there are 23 of in the 60 card deck.

After the opening hand, you draw one card per turn. So the number of cards in the deck is decreasing. I need a formula that takes this into account.

I am sure this question has been answered already, so links are much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
formula for what? there is no question asked here is there?

So in the opening hand you want any 2 (or more) cards from this set of 23? I'll work out the probability this happens for you. [tex]\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}=[/tex]the number of ways to select a subset of size k from n distinct elements.

The total number of hands in the first round is [tex]\binom{60}{7}=386206920[/tex].

To find the number of hands with 2 or more, we'll find the number with none and the number with 1 and subtract from the total.

To have none, all 7 cards must be taken from the 37 others, so [tex]\binom{37}{7}=10295472[/tex]

To have 1, we take 6 cards from the 37, and 1 card from the 23, so
[tex]\binom{37}{6}\binom{23}{1}=(2324784)(23)=53470032[/tex]

So the total number of first round hands that give 2 or more of the 23 is 386206920-10295472-53470032=322441416. Divide by the total number of hands gives the probability of a hand with 2 or more from the 23:
[tex]322441416/386206920\approxeq .8345[/tex]

You can figure out the probability that it takes you until round 2, 3, etc. to get your 2 of the 23. Before I go on, is this the sort of thing you were after?

edit-nuts, is LaTeX busted for everyone?

Last edited:
shmoe is right; the probability of getting 2(or more) land cards on your opening hand is approx. 83.5%
It might be of some interest to work out the probability given the same proportions but infinite deck size.
In that case, the probability is approx. 81.8%
Hence, it doesn't matter too much to use constant probabilities independent of the fact that the deck size decreases.

Schmoe, you hit it right on the money. I took an error analysis class in Physics and we were shown how to find the probabilities of throwing dice three dice, but either I did not apply the equation correctly or it does work the same.

Related to Calculating Probability in Magic: The Gathering with a Decreasing Deck

What is probability in Magic: The Gathering?

Probability in Magic: The Gathering refers to the likelihood of a specific event happening in the game, such as drawing a certain card from a deck.

How does the size of a deck affect probability?

The size of a deck directly affects probability in Magic: The Gathering. As the deck size decreases, the probability of drawing a specific card increases.

What is the formula for calculating probability in Magic: The Gathering with a decreasing deck?

The formula for calculating probability in Magic: The Gathering with a decreasing deck is: P(A) = (N - n) / N, where P(A) is the probability of drawing a specific card, N is the total number of cards in the deck, and n is the number of copies of that specific card in the deck.

Can probability be manipulated in Magic: The Gathering?

No, probability cannot be manipulated in Magic: The Gathering as it is based on chance and the random shuffling of cards in a deck.

How can calculating probability help in playing Magic: The Gathering?

Calculating probability can help players make strategic decisions in Magic: The Gathering, such as which cards to include in their deck and when to use certain cards during gameplay.