Calculating Probability for Random Variables with Two Dice

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, we are given a probability space and function for two six-sided dice being thrown. We are asked to calculate the probability for three different random variables. For the first variable, we use the formula $(a+b=7)$ and the outcome is $\frac{1}{6}$. We also correct a mistake in the problem statement about the last element in $\Omega$ being (6,6) instead of (6,1).
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Two usual six-sided dice are thrown. We are given the probability space $\Omega:=\{(1,1),(1,2),..., (1,6), (2,1),..., (6,1)\}$ and the probability function $ P:Pot (\Omega)\rightarrow [0,1], \ P (\{(a,b)\})=\frac{1}{36}$.
Calculate for the following random variable $X_i:\Omega->R$ the probability $P(X_i=7)$.

a)$X_1 ((a,b))=a+b$

b)$X_2 ((a,b))=2a+1$

c) $X_3 ((a,b))=6+a-b$

Could you give me a hint what I am supposed to do? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Two usual six-sided dice are thrown. We are given the probability space $\Omega:=\{(1,1),(1,2),..., (1,6), (2,1),..., (6,1)\}$ and the probability function $ P:Pot (\Omega)\rightarrow [0,1], \ P (\{(a,b)\})=\frac{1}{36}$.
Calculate for the following random variable $X_i:\Omega->R$ the probability $P(X_i=7)$.

a)$X_1 ((a,b))=a+b$

b)$X_2 ((a,b))=2a+1$

c) $X_3 ((a,b))=6+a-b$

Could you give me a hint what I am supposed to do? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

For the first sub question we're supposed to calculate (since the probability for each individual outcome is the same):
$$P(X_1=7) = P(a+b=7) = \frac{\text{#outcomes such that a+b=7}}{\text{#outcomes in total}}$$
where $a$ is the value of the first die, and $b$ is the value of the second die. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathmari! (Smile)

For the first sub question we're supposed to calculate (since the probability for each individual outcome is the same):
$$P(X_1=7) = P(a+b=7) = \frac{\text{#outcomes such that a+b=7}}{\text{#outcomes in total}}$$
where $a$ is the value of the first die, and $b$ is the value of the second die. (Thinking)

So, we get that $$P(X_1=7) = P(a+b=7) = \frac{(1,6), (6,1)}{\#\Omega}=\frac{2}{36}=\frac{1}{18}$$ or not? (Wondering)

Don't we have more elements in the numerator than just $(1,6), (6,1)$? (Wondering)

Oh, and shouldn't the last element in $\Omega$ in the problem statement be (6,6) instead of (6,1)?

I like Serena said:
Don't we have more elements in the numerator than just $(1,6), (6,1)$? (Wondering)

So, we have at the numerator the elements $(1,6), (2,5), (3,4), (4,3), (5,2), (6,1)$.

Therefore we get $$P(X_1=7) = P(a+b=7) = \frac{\#\{(1,6), (2,5), (3,4), (4,3), (5,2), (6,1)\}}{\#\Omega}=\frac{6}{36}=\frac{1}{6}$$ right? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Oh, and shouldn't the last element in $\Omega$ in the problem statement be (6,6) instead of (6,1)?

Oh yes (Blush)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Thank you! (Sun)

Related to Calculating Probability for Random Variables with Two Dice

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of how likely an event is to occur. It is a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as P(event) = favorable outcomes / total outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual measurements or observations and may be different from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

4. What is the relationship between probability and statistics?

Probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of events occurring. Statistics is the science of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data to make predictions and decisions, often using probability concepts.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in various fields, such as finance, engineering, and medicine, to make predictions and inform decision-making. It is also used in everyday life to make decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes, such as choosing the best route to avoid traffic or deciding whether to bring an umbrella based on the probability of rain.