Calculating Pressure at High Altitudes Using Air Density and Temperature

• Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the pressure of the atmosphere at an altitude of 11,000 m given the air temperature and density. One solution uses the expression ρ = p M / R T, while another suggests integrating both dy and dT using the expression dp / dy = -ρ g. The conversation also mentions the need to know the molar mass of air at that altitude. A suggested model for the Earth's atmosphere is provided for comparison.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

At an altitude of 11,000 m, the air temperature is -56.5 °C and the air desity is 0.364 kg / m3. What is the pressure of the atmosphere at that altitude?

Homework Equations

no equations found

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. The problem gives the air density and using the expression ρ = p M / R T we can easily find the pressure. But suppose I want to find it by using the expression dp / dy = -ρ g, with ρ = p M / R T. In this case I would need to integrate both dy and dT. Am I right? And how could I do this? I've tried working on one attempt but it did'nt work. Maybe the reason is that I did'nt know the molar mass of the air in that altitude? (sorry my bad english). My work is shown below.

dp / dy = -ρ g
ρ = p M / R dT

dp = - (dy p M g / R dT)

- ∫dy M g = R ∫dT (∫dp / P)

Ln P1 / P0 = - (Δy M g) / ΔT

Finally,

P1 = P0 e - (Δy M g / R ΔT)

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:

Homework Statement

At an altitude of 11,000 m, the air temperature is -56.5 °C and the air desity is 0.364 kg / m3. What is the pressure of the atmosphere at that altitude?

Homework Equations

no equations found

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. The problem gives the air density and using the expression ρ = p M / R T we can easily find the pressure. But suppose I want to find it by using the expression dp / dy = -ρ g, with ρ = p M / R T. In this case I would need to integrate both dy and dT. Am I right? And how could I do this? I've tried working on one attempt but it did'nt work. Maybe the reason is that I did'nt know the molar mass of the air in that altitude? (sorry my bad english). My work is shown below.

dp / dy = -ρ g
ρ = p M / R dT

dp = - (dy p M g / R dT)

- ∫dy M g = R ∫dT (∫dp / P)

Ln P1 / P0 = - (Δy M g) / ΔT

Finally,

P1 = P0 e - (Δy M g / R ΔT)
You might want to compare your model of the Earth's atmosphere with this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula

Oh thanks. It was useful to me.

Related to Calculating Pressure at High Altitudes Using Air Density and Temperature

What is the pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force applied per unit area. It is a measure of the amount of force exerted on a given area.

How is pressure measured?

Pressure can be measured using various units such as pascals (Pa), pounds per square inch (psi), or atmospheres (atm). The most commonly used instrument for measuring pressure is a barometer.

What factors affect pressure?

Pressure is affected by the amount of force applied, the area over which the force is applied, and the temperature of the substance. In gases, the number of gas particles and their speed also contribute to the pressure.

What are the different types of pressure?

There are three main types of pressure - atmospheric pressure, fluid pressure, and gas pressure. Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air on a surface. Fluid pressure is the force exerted by a liquid or gas on the walls of its container. Gas pressure is the force exerted by gas particles colliding with the walls of a container.

Why is pressure important in science?

Pressure is a crucial concept in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of fluids and gases, and is essential in studying weather patterns, fluid dynamics, and the functioning of various machines and devices.