Calculating Power/Torque for Amusement Park Ride

• Thread starter Jack Snaith
  • Start date
In summary: W if...the entire platform is just one big solid disk, then yes, you are correct. Plug it into the equation I set up now and what do you get as a final answer?If the entire platform is just one big solid disk, then yes, you are correct. Plug it into the equation I set up now and what do you get as a final answer?You get 22487.4 kgm^2 x 0.136 =3,058.3kgm x 9.81 =30,000Nm x 26 /9550 =81.6kw.
Jack Snaith
Calculating an amusement park ride - the ride part that rotates weighs 10,000kg. It is approx 9,300mm diameter. The ride needs to turn at 26rpm. The acceleration time to 26rpm is 20 seconds and deceleration time is 20 seconds. The ride goes from a horizontal position at start to a vertical position when at full speed. What power is required to turn the wheel? Or what formula is required to calculate the torque required?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack Snaith said:
Calculating an amusement park ride - the ride part that rotates weighs 10,000kg. It is approx 9,300mm diameter. The ride needs to turn at 26rpm. The acceleration time to 26rpm is 20 seconds and deceleration time is 20 seconds. The ride goes from a horizontal position at start to a vertical position when at full speed. What power is required to turn the wheel? Or what formula is required to calculate the torque required?

Welcome to the PF, Jack.

What is the context of your question? If it is for schoolwork, I can move it to the Homework Help forums.

In any case, you need to list the relevant equations for your question, and show us the work you have done on it so far.

When you say "turn the wheel" do you mean from a horizontal to a vertical position? Or turn it as in rotate it?

You also need to know the moment of inertia "I"

is the ride a solid disk? a hoop? all of this goes into account when solving this problem.

If there's a picture, that would help too

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Jack.

What is the context of your question? If it is for schoolwork, I can move it to the Homework Help forums.

In any case, you need to list the relevant equations for your question, and show us the work you have done on it so far.

It is for Schoolwork - project.
10,000kg x 9.81 x 4.650m x 0.05=22808kgm x9.81 =223,749Nm However I am not sure how to input the inertia or acceleration into the equation?

thehacker3 said:
When you say "turn the wheel" do you mean from a horizontal to a vertical position? Or turn it as in rotate it?

Rotate the ride not lift from horizontal to vertical.

[PLAIN]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3397/photoeu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thehacker3 said:
You also need to know the moment of inertia "I"

is the ride a solid disk? a hoop? all of this goes into account when solving this problem.

If there's a picture, that would help too

A simple rotating arm balanced centrally with a weight of 200kg on each end.

Jack Snaith said:
A simple rotating arm balanced centrally with a weight of 200kg on each end.

So calculate the "I" and plug it into the equations I set up for you right there... If you still have trouble, I'll help but you have to try it on your own first.

&& moderators, please move the thread to the appropriate section

Inertia :-
0.5 x 10,400 x 4.650 x 4.650 =11243.7kgM^2 ?? does this look right?

Last edited:
thehacker3 said:
So calculate the "I" and plug it into the equations I set up for you right there... If you still have trouble, I'll help but you have to try it on your own first.

&& moderators, please move the thread to the appropriate section

I =0.5 x 10400 x 4.650 x 4.650 =11,243.7kgM^2 -Does this look right?

Last edited:
If the entire platform is just one big solid disk, then yes, you are correct. Plug it into the equation I set up now and what do you get as a final answer?

thehacker3 said:
If the entire platform is just one big solid disk, then yes, you are correct. Plug it into the equation I set up now and what do you get as a final answer?

T = 11243.7KGm^2 x 0.136 = 1,529kgm or 15,000Nm @26rpm = 40.8kw output power.
How would this value change -if instead of a solid disc it was a tube?

look up how the moment inertia of a hoop relates to that of a disk.

It should be twice as great. What does that do to your final answer?

thehacker3 said:
look up how the moment inertia of a hoop relates to that of a disk.

It should be twice as great. What does that do to your final answer?

22487.4 KGM^2 X0.136 =3,058.3kgm x9.81 =30,000Nm x26 /9550 =81.6kw

Jack Snaith said:
I =0.5 x 10400 x 4.650 x 4.650 =11,243.7kgM^2 -Does this look right?

This should read 0.5 x 10,400 x 4.650 x 4.650 =112,437kgm^2 - is the decimal point in the wrong place on previous answer?

Jack Snaith said:
22487.4 KGM^2 X0.136 =3,058.3kgm x9.81 =30,000Nm x26 /9550 =81.6kw

So this should read 224874KGM^2 x 0.136 =30,583kgm x 9.81 =300,000Nm x 26 /9550 =816kw - this is not correct there must be a mistake somewhere??

Yeah you put the decimal place in the wrong spot. I didn't bother seeing if you did the math right because that can always be fixed up in a later check - the concept is the most important part.

your final answer should be 816kW if it's a hollow cylinder.

Anyone else want to double check our work?

Related to Calculating Power/Torque for Amusement Park Ride

1. How is power/torque calculated for amusement park rides?

To calculate power for an amusement park ride, you need to know the ride's speed and mass. The formula for power is P = F x v, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity. To calculate torque, you need to know the ride's rotational speed and moment of inertia. The formula for torque is T = I x α, where T is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.

2. What is the difference between power and torque in amusement park rides?

Power and torque are both measures of the amount of force being exerted in an amusement park ride, but they are different in how they are applied. Power measures the force being exerted over a distance, while torque measures the force being applied to rotate an object.

3. How does the design of an amusement park ride affect its power/torque?

The design of an amusement park ride can greatly affect its power and torque. For example, a ride with a longer track or steeper incline will require more power to move, while a ride with a heavier rotating component will require more torque to spin.

4. What are some safety considerations when calculating power/torque for amusement park rides?

Safety is a crucial factor when calculating power and torque for amusement park rides. Engineers must ensure that the ride is not designed with too much power or torque, as this can lead to accidents or malfunctions. Proper maintenance and regular inspections are also important to ensure that the ride is operating within safe power and torque limits.

5. How do external factors, such as weather, affect the power/torque of amusement park rides?

External factors, such as weather, can have a significant impact on the power and torque of amusement park rides. For example, high winds can increase the resistance on a ride, requiring more power to maintain its speed. Similarly, extreme temperatures can affect the performance of the ride's motors and engines, potentially altering the power and torque needed to operate the ride safely.