Calculating Power Requirements for a Ski Lift

• Thread starter elsternj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Power
In summary, the ski tow on a slope with an angle of 14.3 and a length of 350m operates at a constant speed of 3.36m/s. With 49 riders at an average mass of 75.0kg, the power required to operate the tow is 121006.48 watts. This can also be checked using the formula P=Fv, where F is the force in the rope.
elsternj

Homework Statement

A ski tow operates on a slope of angle 14.3 of length 350m . The rope moves at a speed of 12.1km/h and provides power for 49 riders at one time, with an average mass per rider of 75.0kg Estimate the power required. to operate the tow.

Homework Equations

W=mgh
P=W/T
x-x0=(V0x+Vx/2)t

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted my speed to m/s
12.1km/h = 3.36m/s
Then I had to find the height of this ski lift. I figured the height would be the y component of the ski lift. 350Sin(14.3)=86.45
m = 75*49 = 3675
W=mgh
W=(3675)(9.8)(86.45)=3113496.75

Then I had to find the time.
x-x0=(V0x+Vx/2)t
350=(3.36/2)t
t = 208.3
P = 3113496.75 / 208.3 = 14947.18 (not the right answer)

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed that the the rope and riders were accelerated from rest to 3.36 km/s. Instead, the problem is (somewhat unclearly) stating that the speed is constant at 3.36 km/s.

okay so if the speed is constant then acceleration is 0.

3.36=86.45/t
t=25.73
P=w/t
P=3113496.75/25.73=121006.48 not the right answer

i feel that I am particularly unsure about my W=mgh equation in this problem.

oops

Last edited:
elsternj said:
okay so if the speed is constant then acceleration is 0.

3.36=86.45/t
t=25.73
P=w/t
P=3113496.75/25.73=121006.48 not the right answer

i feel that I am particularly unsure about my W=mgh equation in this problem.
Your Work done is OK, but your time is incorrect. The rope moves 350 m , not 86.45 meters.
Incidentally, if you can calculate the force in the rope, F, you can use P =Fv as a check on your answer.

ah and there's the right answer! of course it should have been 350! I don't know what made me use the height. Thank you so much for the help! I love this site. I see tutors at my college but it is currently our spring break and we have a test the week we get back! This has been just as helpful as my tutors! Much appreciation to you and everyone else.

Related to Calculating Power Requirements for a Ski Lift

1. How is the power required for a ski lift calculated?

The power required for a ski lift is calculated by multiplying the force required to lift a skier by the speed at which the lift moves. This is known as the formula for power, P = F x v, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity.

2. What factors affect the power required for a ski lift?

The power required for a ski lift is affected by several factors, including the weight of the skiers, the speed of the lift, the angle of inclination, and the friction between the lift and the cable. Additionally, weather conditions such as wind and snow can also impact the power required.

3. How does the weight of the skiers impact the power required for a ski lift?

The weight of the skiers directly affects the power required for a ski lift. The heavier the skiers, the more force is needed to lift them, resulting in a higher power requirement. This is why ski lifts have weight limits and may require multiple lifts for larger groups of skiers.

4. Why is the speed of the lift important in calculating the power required?

The speed of the lift is an essential factor in calculating the power required because it affects the rate at which the lift moves and the number of skiers it can transport in a given amount of time. A higher speed will result in a higher power requirement, as more energy is needed to move the lift at a faster rate.

5. How is the power required for a ski lift typically generated?

The power required for a ski lift is typically generated by an electric motor that drives a cable system. The motor uses energy from a power source, such as electricity or diesel fuel, to turn the lift's pulleys and move the cable. In some cases, ski lifts may also use renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, to generate the required power.