Calculating Power Requirement for Pump Filler for Ice Cream Project

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the power requirement and capacity for a pump filler in an ice cream project. The speaker asks for help with the calculation, specifically for a piston pump or hydraulic pump instead of a centrifugal pump. Another person suggests using a screw-type extruder for efficiency and mentions the need for a compressor to discharge the ice cream. The conversation ends with a recommendation to use an auger (screw) for positive displacement and a link to an article for reference.
wnh
Im new to this forum and I am seeking some help. I have recently doing a project for ice cream. In order to choose a suitable filler for filling process, i need to calculate the power requirement and capacity for the pump filler. I m really hope that you can show me the step for this calculation since it involves piston pump/hydraulic pump calculation instead of centrifugal pump calculation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't help with any calculations of that sort, but I do have to ask you something. Is this design already mandated to be a piston pump? The reason that I ask is that it seems to me that in this application a screw-type extruder would be far more efficient.

Not necessary but it seem that to discharge the ice cream i need a compressor,for higher viscosity, positive displacement one.

Seriously, then... look into an auger (screw). It's most assuredly positive displacement, and requires only a rotary input with no cranks or pumps or whatever else. Here's a quick overview. The article deals with one for plastic, but exactly the same thing will work excellently on ice cream. Unlike the one for plastic, yours will have no need for a heater.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastics_extrusion

ok. thanks.i ll try to figure it out first..

Related to Calculating Power Requirement for Pump Filler for Ice Cream Project

1. What is the purpose of calculating power requirement for a pump filler for an ice cream project?

The purpose of calculating power requirement for a pump filler for an ice cream project is to determine the amount of power needed to operate the pump filler efficiently and effectively. This calculation helps in selecting the appropriate pump size and motor power to ensure the pump can handle the required flow rate and pressure for the ice cream project.

2. How is the power requirement calculated for a pump filler?

The power requirement for a pump filler is calculated by multiplying the flow rate (in gallons per minute) by the pressure (in pounds per square inch) and then dividing the result by the pump efficiency. This calculation is usually done in units of horsepower (hp) and can be further adjusted for specific factors such as viscosity of the ice cream mixture, pipe friction, and elevation changes.

3. What factors can affect the power requirement for a pump filler in an ice cream project?

The power requirement for a pump filler can be affected by factors such as the type and viscosity of the ice cream mixture, the desired flow rate and pressure, the length and diameter of the pipes, and the elevation changes in the system. These factors can impact the overall efficiency and power needed for the pump to operate effectively.

4. How does the power requirement for a pump filler impact the overall cost of an ice cream project?

The power requirement for a pump filler can impact the overall cost of an ice cream project in several ways. A pump with a higher power requirement may require a larger motor, which can increase the initial cost of the equipment. Additionally, higher power requirements can lead to increased energy consumption and operating costs over time. It is important to carefully consider the power requirement when selecting a pump for an ice cream project to ensure efficiency and cost-effectiveness.

5. Are there any safety considerations when calculating the power requirement for a pump filler for an ice cream project?

Yes, there are safety considerations when calculating the power requirement for a pump filler for an ice cream project. It is important to ensure that the selected pump and motor can handle the required power without overheating or causing any safety hazards. It is also important to follow proper installation and maintenance procedures to prevent any accidents or malfunctions due to high power requirements.