Calculating Power plant's electric output in relation to carnot efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem assigned in class regarding the construction of a nuclear plant in India. The question involves calculating the electric output at full power based on given data, including the river temperature and plant efficiency. The speaker is unsure of which numbers and equations to use and is seeking clarification. The conversation also mentions converting temperatures to Kelvin or Rankine for efficiency calculations. Ultimately, the optimal Carnot efficiency is determined to be 48%, but the actual conversion to electric energy is around 40%.
goldguy500
We were assigned a problem in class, but because it was on guest lecturer material, I am unclear of which given numbers and what equations to use. I do know I am supposed to use: η=TH-Tc/TH But I am confused as to why I have been given 4 variables ...Please Help!
Here is the question
[1] You are building a 3000 MW (thermal; i.e., the amount of heat the reactor makes) nuclear plant in India on a river in the foothills of the Himalayas with water temperature a constant 40°F (due to snow melt). After the river water is used in the plant condenser, it is returned at a temperature of 80°F. Assuming this plant operates at 80% carnot efficiency, what is the electric output at full power? Assume that the steam is 540°F and the condenser is at an average of 60°F.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looking at the cycle and given data, what value would you assign to Tc ? What are the possibilities?

I was thinking 540 (converted to Kelvin) as Thot and 60 (in kelvin too as Tcold), but I am not sure what the other given numbers of river input temperature are for.

Check your numbers again. I do not see 540 Kelvin in the data. Remember:

K = C + 273
R = F + 460

Use K or R in efficiency calculations.

I think the problem statement means that this plant operates at 80% of the Carnot efficiency. (Not, "the Carnot efficiency is 80%").

edit: or is that obvious to you already?

gmax137 said:
I think the problem statement means that this plant operates at 80% of the Carnot efficiency. (Not, "the Carnot efficiency is 80%").

edit: or is that obvious to you already?

Exactly.
Optimal Carnot efficiency is (T(i)-T(c))/T(i), in in degrees K or R.

Using those numbers, the optimal efficiency of the plant is ((540+460)-(60+460))/(540+460)= 48%, which would be wonderful if achieved end to end. Unfortunately, the conversion to electric energy is sufficiently sloppy that electric energy produced is under 40% of the thermal output, barring heroic measures.
Using the 80% conversion efficiency would yield 38.4% overall, which is about state of the art.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Power plant's electric output in relation to carnot efficiency

1. How is power plant electric output calculated?

The electric output of a power plant is calculated by multiplying the plant's efficiency by the amount of energy it consumes. This can be expressed as E = ηQ, where E is the electric output, η is the efficiency, and Q is the energy consumption.

2. What is the Carnot efficiency?

The Carnot efficiency is the maximum theoretical efficiency of a heat engine, based on the difference in temperature between the hot and cold reservoirs. It can be calculated by dividing the difference in temperature by the temperature of the hot reservoir, or η = (Th - Tc) / Th. This efficiency cannot be achieved in real-world power plants, but serves as a benchmark for comparison.

3. How does the Carnot efficiency relate to a power plant's electric output?

The Carnot efficiency can be used to determine the maximum possible efficiency of a power plant. The actual efficiency of a power plant will always be lower than the Carnot efficiency, due to factors such as friction and heat loss. However, the Carnot efficiency can be used as a reference point for evaluating the performance of a power plant.

4. Can a power plant's electric output be increased by improving its efficiency?

Yes, increasing a power plant's efficiency can lead to an increase in its electric output. This can be achieved through improvements in technology, such as using more efficient turbines or reducing heat loss. However, there will always be a limit to how much the efficiency can be improved, as it cannot exceed the Carnot efficiency.

5. How do other factors, such as fuel type, affect a power plant's electric output?

Other factors, such as fuel type, can also impact a power plant's electric output. Different fuels have different energy densities, which can affect the amount of energy that can be converted into electricity. Additionally, the cost and availability of different fuels can also impact a power plant's electric output, as well as its overall efficiency.