Calculating power in a circuit with loops

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in circuit analysis involving Kirchhoff's rules. The equations for the circuit are given, but the individual currents cannot be solved for because there are three variables and only two equations. The solution is to use the relationship I(2) = I(1) + I(3) and solve for the currents.
lagwagon555

Homework Statement

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1147/question1x.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR, Sum of currents at junction = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Just doing some exam revision, and found this one in my notes. I'm not really sure how to go about it. Using Kirchhoffs rules, you obviously end up with three variables, and can't solve the equations:

10 - 10I(1) - 20I(2) = 0
15 - 20I(2) - 10I(3) = 0

So I don't know how to calculate the current for any loop on the circuit, since they all have two components. Anyone got any pointers? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take I(2) = I(1) + I(3) and solve the equations.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the specific type of circuit that is being described. It appears to be a series-parallel circuit, with two loops. Next, I would use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the current in each individual resistor. From there, I would use Kirchhoff's Laws to analyze the circuit and determine the total current in each loop. This can be done by setting up a system of equations using the given values and the relationships between voltage, current, and resistance.

Once the total current in each loop is determined, the power in each loop can be calculated using the equation P=IV. This will give the power consumed by each resistor in the loop. To calculate the total power in the circuit, the individual powers in each loop can be added together.

In summary, the key to solving this problem is to first identify the type of circuit and then use the appropriate equations and laws to analyze it. It may also be helpful to draw a schematic diagram of the circuit to visualize the different components and their relationships.

Related to Calculating power in a circuit with loops

1. How do you calculate power in a circuit with loops?

In order to calculate power in a circuit with loops, you will need to use Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) and Ohm's law. KVL states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop. Ohm's law states that the current in a circuit is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance.

2. What is the formula for calculating power in a circuit with loops?

The formula for calculating power in a circuit with loops is P = I2R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms. This formula is derived from Ohm's law, where P = IV, and substituting I with V/R.

3. Can power be negative in a circuit with loops?

Yes, power can be negative in a circuit with loops. This typically occurs when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of voltage drop. In this case, the power is being absorbed or dissipated by the circuit, rather than being supplied by a source.

4. How do you handle multiple loops when calculating power in a circuit?

To handle multiple loops when calculating power in a circuit, you will need to use the principle of superposition. This means that you will calculate the power in each individual loop separately, while keeping the other loops open (i.e. assuming they do not exist). Then, you can sum up the power values for each loop to get the total power in the circuit.

5. What units are used for power in a circuit with loops?

The unit for power in a circuit with loops is watts (W), which is equivalent to joules per second. This unit represents the rate at which energy is converted or consumed in the circuit. It is also common to use kilowatts (kW) or megawatts (MW) for larger power values.