Calculating Population Growth Rate Using Log Equations

• Thread starter TN17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
HallsofIvy, post: 3027229"]Yes, you would still use 25000 and 10000 because that's all the information you have! I'm not sure if you copied that formula correctly- it should be P(t) = P0(1 + \frac{R}{100t_0})^{t/t_0}Really? =\It says P(t) = P0( 1 + R/100) t/to in the textbook, and I got the right answer with that equation for a).No, you didn't. With that equation, you got 2.5= (1+ R/100)^6.
TN17

Homework Statement

Equation for population growth is:
P(t) = P0(1 + R/100)t/t0
R --- growth rate in %
t0--- time period
Suppose a population grew from 10 000 to 25 000 in 6 years. If time is measured in years, calculate:
a)Yearly growth rate Answer:16.5%
b) Growth rate per decade Answer360.5%

The Attempt at a Solution

For a)
25 000 = 10000(1 + R/100)6
2.5 = (1 + R/100)6
log 2.5 = 6 log [(100 + R)/100]
This is where I got stuck. I'm not sure how to isolate "R".
For b)
I wouldn't know how to solve this without knowing how to do a).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TN17 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For a)
25 000 = 10000(1 + R/100)6
2.5 = (1 + R/100)6
log 2.5 = 6 log [(100 + R)/100]6
This is where I got stuck. I'm not sure how to isolate "R".
(You got an extra 6 on the right side.)

I wouldn't take the log of both sides. Instead, take the 6th root of both sides:
[tex]\sqrt[6]{2.5} = \sqrt[6]{\left( 1 + \frac{R}{100} \right)^6}[/tex]
Can you take it from there?

eumyang said:

I wouldn't take the log of both sides. Instead, take the 6th root of both sides:

Yep :)
Thanks a lot. I never even thought of this way. I only thought of solutions in terms of log laws.

Wait... how would I do it for b)?
I did the same method as a), but put exponent 10. I didn't end up with the answer, though.
Would I still use 25 000 and 10 000? That info was only for a span of 6 years.

TN17 said:
Wait... how would I do it for b)?
I did the same method as a), but put exponent 10. I didn't end up with the answer, though.
Would I still use 25 000 and 10 000? That info was only for a span of 6 years.
Yes, you would still use 25000 and 10000 because that's all the information you have!

I'm not sure if you copied that formula correctly- it should be
[tex]P(t) = P0(1 + \frac{R}{100t_0})^{t/t_0}[/tex]
In other words, if the growth is per 10 years, you replace R/100 (which reduces R to a decimal) by R/(100*10)= R/1000 which would be the 10 year percentage reduce to "per year".

[tex]25000= 10000(1+ \frac{R}{1000})^{6/10}[/tex]
[tex]2.5= (1+ \frac{R}{1000})^{.6}[/tex]
Now take the ".6" root of each side. On the left you can do that with a logarithm: to solve [itex]x^{.6}= 2.5[/itex] take the logarithm of both sides: [itex].6 ln(x)= ln(2.5)[/itex] so that [itex]ln(x)= ln(2.5)/.6= 1.527[/itex] so that [itex]x= e^{1.527}= 4.6[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, you would still use 25000 and 10000 because that's all the information you have!

I'm not sure if you copied that formula correctly- it should be
[tex]P(t) = P0(1 + \frac{R}{100t_0})^{t/t_0}[/tex]

Really? =\
It says
P(t) = P0( 1 + R/100) t/to in the textbook, and I got the right answer with that equation for a).

Last edited:
eumyang said:

... but if you wanted to take the [itex]\log[/tex] of both sides, here's how it would go:

[tex]\log{2.5} = 6 \log \left( 1 + \frac{R}{100} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{6} \log{2.5} = \log \left( 1 + \frac{R}{100} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\log(2.5)^{\frac{1}{6}}= \log \left( 1 + \frac{R}{100} \right)[/tex]

[tex](2.5)^{\frac{1}{6}} = \left( 1 + \frac{R}{100} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt[6]{2.5} = \left( 1 + \frac{R}{100} \right)[/tex]

which brings you back to where eumyang suggested

Related to Calculating Population Growth Rate Using Log Equations

1. How do I calculate population growth rate using log equations?

To calculate population growth rate using log equations, you will need to know the starting population size, the final population size, and the time period over which the growth occurred. Then, you can use the formula: Growth Rate = (ln(final population) - ln(starting population)) / time period. This formula uses the natural logarithm (ln) to calculate the rate of change.

2. Why is it important to use log equations when calculating population growth rate?

Using log equations allows us to account for the exponential growth of populations. Since population growth is often not linear, using log equations helps to accurately capture the rate of change and better understand the growth dynamics.

3. How do I interpret the result of a population growth rate calculated using log equations?

The resulting value from the growth rate calculation is a decimal number, which represents the percentage change in population size over the given time period. A positive number indicates population growth, while a negative number indicates population decline.

4. Can log equations be used to calculate population growth rate for any organism?

Yes, log equations can be used to calculate population growth rate for any organism, as long as the starting and final population size and the time period are known. However, the growth patterns may vary depending on the species and environmental factors.

5. Are there any limitations to using log equations for calculating population growth rate?

One limitation is that log equations assume that the population growth is continuous and does not account for any fluctuations or changes in growth rate. Additionally, log equations may not accurately reflect population growth in cases where there are significant disturbances or changes in the environment.