Calculating pi with Monte Carlo integration

In summary: Thanks for clearing that up for me.In summary, His code is using a monte carlo technique to estimate the expected value of the random variable Y. This is more efficient than the rejection technique he described.
mjordan2nd
Hello!

I am taking a computational physics class this semester and just got out of a test. One of the questions provided us with 10 random numbers and asked us to approximate pi. The method I came up with was realizing that

[tex] \int_0^1 \sqrt{1-x^2} dx = \frac{\pi}{4},[/tex]

and then performing this integral numerically. To perform the integral numerically, I plugged in the random values in place of x and evaluated the integrand. I then summed up the integrand values for each of the 10 random numbers and divided this value by 10 to give me pi/4. This method game me a value of pi of around 3.49. I figured this was good enough since I only had 10 values. However, I decided to come back and actually code this into the computer. Using java, I wrote the following code:

Code:
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
import java.math.*;

public class Test
{
	public static void main(String [] args)
	{
		double sum = 0;
		for(int i = 0; i< 100000; i++)
		{
			sum+=Math.sqrt(1-(Math.random() * Math.random()));
		}
		sum = (sum / 100000) * 4;
		System.out.println(sum);
	}
}

However, even with a 100000 random numbers I'm still only getting values of around 3.415. There seems to be some kind of systematic error in my logic, however I can't pinpoint what it is. Any help clearing up this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Never mind, I found my error. The math.random() * math.random() should read Math.pow(Math.random(),2). This fixed it, and gave me a value of 3.14158

First, I don't see any point in generating two random numbers per iteration. Just generate one and square it.

Second, I generally try to avoid using pow() when all I'm doing is squaring or cubing a number. After all, x*x produces the same result as pow(x, 2) without the overhead of a function call.

Third, it's not clear to me what you are doing, but it doesn't seem like a Monte Carlo simulation. In a Monte Carlo simulation of the value of ##\pi## you would be simulating throwing darts at a quarter circle of radius 1 that sits inside a unit square. In the simulation you generate x and y values at random (in the range 0 to 1). If the point lies inside the circle, count it. If it lies outside the circle, don't count it. With a large number of darts, the ratio of points inside the circle to the total number of darts thrown should be close to ##\pi/4##.

Whatever it is that your code is doing, here's how I would modify your code, with an eye to speeding it up.
Code:
for(int i = 0; i< 100000; i++)
{
   x = Math.random();
   sum += Math.sqrt(1.0 - x*x); 
}

Mark44 said:
Whatever it is that your code is doing ...

What his code is doing is using random sampling to estimate the expected value of the random variable Y, where [itex]Y = \sqrt{1-X^2}[/itex] and X is U(0,1). Since the expected value is an integral (in this case, [itex]E(Y) = \int_0^1 \sqrt{1-x^2}\,dx[/itex]), I would say this qualifies as a monte carlo integration technique -- and it is more efficient than the rejection technique you described.

D H said:
What his code is doing is using random sampling to estimate the expected value of the random variable Y, where [itex]Y = \sqrt{1-X^2}[/itex] and X is U(0,1). Since the expected value is an integral (in this case, [itex]E(Y) = \int_0^1 \sqrt{1-x^2}\,dx[/itex]), I would say this qualifies as a monte carlo integration technique -- and it is more efficient than the rejection technique you described.
OK, good to know. It bothered me that the result was not too far off from ##\pi##.

Related to Calculating pi with Monte Carlo integration

1. How does Monte Carlo integration work for calculating pi?

Monte Carlo integration uses random sampling to approximate the area under a curve. In the case of calculating pi, random points are generated within a square that contains a quarter of a circle. The ratio of points that fall within the circle to the total number of points generated can be used to estimate the value of pi.

2. How accurate is the Monte Carlo method for calculating pi?

The accuracy of the Monte Carlo method depends on the number of points generated. The more points that are used, the more accurate the estimate will be. However, even with a large number of points, there will always be some level of error due to the random nature of the method.

3. Can Monte Carlo integration be used to calculate other mathematical constants?

Yes, Monte Carlo integration can be used to approximate the values of other mathematical constants, such as e or the golden ratio. It can also be used for more complex integrals in higher dimensions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Monte Carlo integration for calculating pi?

One limitation of using Monte Carlo integration is that it can be computationally expensive, especially when using a large number of points. Additionally, the method may not be as accurate for functions that have a lot of variation or are not well-behaved.

5. How is Monte Carlo integration different from other methods used to calculate pi?

Unlike other methods, such as the Leibniz formula or the Gregory-Leibniz series, Monte Carlo integration does not rely on a specific formula or series. Instead, it uses random sampling to approximate the value of pi. This allows for the method to be applied to a wider variety of functions and integrals.