Calculating Pi: Find Reliable Measurments

• Thread starter Dawguard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, a perfect circle is a mathematical concept and cannot be found or measured in the physical world. Any attempts to calculate Pi using physical measurements will not result in a precise value. It is best to use mathematical computations to accurately determine Pi.
Dawguard
Does anyone know the measurments of a perfect circle? I've been trying to calculate Pi on my own, but I can't find a reliable set of measurments to use. Everything I've found so far has been close, but starts to deviate from the real Pi around the tenth decimal place.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this calculation you are doing ? You know that there is no such thing as a perfect measurement, right ? A perfect circle is a mathematical object. Neither will you find one in the physical world, nor be able to measure anything about it to arbitrary accuracy.

As Gokul points out, you won't get a particularly good value for pi by physical measurement. You need to compute it via mathematics

Enjoy!

Hmmm...I had been using simple division, so I was looking for a diameter and circumfrence. I had thought a perfect circle could exist in theory, and the measurements known, but apparently not.
Thanks for the link though, it's a great site!

Related to Calculating Pi: Find Reliable Measurments

1. How is pi calculated?

Pi is calculated by dividing the circumference of a circle by its diameter. This value is a constant and is approximately equal to 3.14.

2. What is the most accurate method for calculating pi?

The most accurate method for calculating pi is by using infinite series. One example is the Leibniz formula which uses an infinite sum to approximate the value of pi.

3. Can pi be calculated to an exact value?

No, pi is an irrational number which means it cannot be represented as a finite decimal. Therefore, it cannot be calculated to an exact value.

4. How many digits of pi have been calculated so far?

As of 2020, the current record for calculating the most digits of pi is 50 trillion digits. However, for practical purposes, pi is usually rounded to 3.14 or a few more digits.

5. Why is it important to have reliable measurements when calculating pi?

Reliable measurements are important when calculating pi because even a small error can greatly impact the accuracy of the value. This is especially crucial in fields such as engineering and physics where precise calculations are necessary for accurate results.