Calculating Phase and Line Currents in a Three Phase Delta Circuit

Additionally, the line currents will have a magnitude of SQRT(3)*17.8, with the same phase angles as the line currents. In summary, the phase currents will be 17.8∠-30.9°, 17.8∠-150.9°, and 17.8∠89.9°, and the line currents will be SQRT(3)*17.8∠-30.9°, SQRT(3)*17.8∠-150.9°, and SQRT(3)*17.8∠89.9°.
bengaltiger14

Homework Statement

Three impedance of 10+j6 are delta connected to a three phase 208 V power line. I am to find The Phase currents, and Line currents.

I am just learning this so bear with me please. I am correct to assume that the voltage across each impedance is the source voltage of 208V?

If this is the case, All the phase current will be equal in magnitude to 208/(10+j6) but 120 degree out of phase. I got I1 17.8 angle of -30.9. I2 17.8 angle of -150.9, and I3 17.8 angle of 89.9.

Then the line currents will be the SQRT(3) * 17.8 with the same degrees of the line currents.

Am I correct on this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations I = E/ZThe Attempt at a SolutionYes, you are correct in your reasoning. The line currents will be the same magnitude as the phase current, but they will be 120° out of phase with each other. So, the line current will be 17.8∠-30.9° for Line 1, 17.8∠-150.9° for Line 2, and 17.8∠89.9° for Line 3.

I would like to commend you on your approach to solving this problem. Your understanding of the concept is correct - the voltage across each impedance is equal to the source voltage of 208V. Your calculations for the phase currents and line currents are also correct. Keep in mind that the phase currents are 120 degrees out of phase with each other, while the line currents are in phase. I would also suggest double checking your calculations to ensure accuracy. Overall, great job on applying your knowledge to solve this problem. Keep up the good work!

Related to Calculating Phase and Line Currents in a Three Phase Delta Circuit

1. What is a three-phase delta circuit?

A three-phase delta circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of three voltage sources connected in a delta configuration. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial power systems.

2. What are the advantages of using a three-phase delta circuit?

One of the main advantages of a three-phase delta circuit is its ability to handle high power loads. It also allows for efficient power transmission over long distances and provides a more balanced distribution of power.

3. How does a three-phase delta circuit differ from a three-phase wye circuit?

A three-phase delta circuit has three voltage sources connected in a triangular shape, while a three-phase wye circuit has three voltage sources connected in a Y-shaped configuration. Additionally, the voltage and current values in a delta circuit are higher than in a wye circuit.

4. What are the potential risks associated with a three-phase delta circuit?

One potential risk of a three-phase delta circuit is the possibility of phase imbalance, which can cause uneven distribution of power and lead to equipment damage. It is also important to properly size and protect the circuit to prevent overloading and short circuits.

5. How is power calculated in a three-phase delta circuit?

The total power in a three-phase delta circuit can be calculated by multiplying the line voltage by the line current and by the square root of three. This is known as the "three-phase power formula" and is expressed as P = V x I x √3.